Does Diesel Kleen clean dirty injectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used stanadyne lubricity formula which is supposed to clean and lubricate, but I was noticing it skipping slightly at idle when hot listening to the exhaust. Not sure if that's what it was since the truck runs smooth. Also for a while I did just use it for running around doing short trips a bunch and noticed it would smoke a good bit under moderate acceleration. I think it got carboned up a bit cause I started towing a trailer around almost everywhere and I think the constant higher egts cleaned out whatever carbon buildup there was cause it pretty much stopped doing the smoke and the mis. Just curious if anyone has had success with diesel clean cleaning injectors? Thinking about using it, but at the same time I've already been using stanadyne all along so I don't know. Thought?

Not sure if it just needed the carbon blown out or what since it doesn't smoke now either.

My buddy uses a quart of atf every fill up. Whethere it works or not is up in the air, but he had a 280k mile ford, 380 ram, and ~300k ram now and has never done any injector related work/ issues ever... he says it for lubricity, and in his case it was enough to keep his diesels happy.

On 96 MB E300 with 300k+ miles.
I am sold on Kreen at 250k miles I had both Injector knock and blow-by. I added 1/2 Qt to engine and 1/2 Qt to Fuel when it was about 1/4 tank probably around 7 Gallons.

I drove the car about 500 miles then changed the Oil. It was like watered down molasses I was even able to get a magnet in (after I removed oil pressure switch in the sump) the oil pan and fish outd old bearing balls and little arm that fell in when my Vacuum pump failed.

The results: unstuck the rings and blow-by gone, the morning injector knock gone. I have did this twice in the last 50k miles and the engine noise is down, my perceptions is more power and I now occasionally put in about 3 oz into fuel to keep the injectors clean. Mind you these are original factory injectors that have never came out; on engine side I do not have even a seep out of the engine or transmission (did not used it on transmission).

Kindly post your results.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My buddy uses a quart of atf every fill up. Whethere it works or not is up in the air, but he had a 280k mile ford, 380 ram, and ~300k ram now and has never done any injector related work/ issues ever... he says it for lubricity, and in his case it was enough to keep his diesels happy.

Yeah the ATF works for the older diesels, but isn't good for a HPCR setup. I think ATF has metals in the additive package or something that isn't good for the injectors.

ATF doesn't even have any meaningful cleaners, so it must be strictly the lubricity, and a quart seems an awful lot every tank, how big is it?

My buddy uses a quart of atf every fill up.

Really? That's crazy.

How many quarts has he gone through?
300000/15mpg is 20000 gallons of fuel
20000/30 gal tank is get this
666 quarts of atf used. And that is if he used every drop of fuel....
Real number is really more like 700 quarts.
Unreal

Last edited:
Imo 2 stroke oil is a much better choice than atf. 2 stroke oil is designed to lube' clean and not leave deposits. Atf will leave lots of deposits.

Not sure how atf got such a good rep.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Yeah the ATF works for the older diesels, but isn't good for a HPCR setup. I think ATF has metals in the additive package or something that isn't good for the injectors.

05 ford, 07 ram 5.9, 12 ram 6.7...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
My buddy uses a quart of atf every fill up.

Really? That's crazy.

How many quarts has he gone through?
300000/15mpg is 20000 gallons of fuel
20000/30 gal tank is get this
666 quarts of atf used. And that is if he used every drop of fuel....
Real number is really more like 700 quarts.
Unreal

Closer to 12mpg. He hauls cars otr with it I thing the 5.9 got up that high though.
His tank is slightly bigger, size of a truck bed toolbox. plus the stock one

Last edited:
Thought?

Sure.

You're myopically focusing on injectors when, considering this is a 2007.5 truck, there are several different factors that could contribute to the issues you describe (VGT, EGR, etc.)

P.S. - There's no reason for you to run Stanadyne Lubricity Formula. If you want to use one of their products, switch to Performance Formula Warm Weather Blend.

Well, if the ATF is red dyed, if tanks get checked, the fines for running untaxed diesel, which is what they will assume, can be pretty significant. Not a problem for general users probably, but commercial users run higher risks of fuel testing checks. The strips they test the fuel with will trigger with just a little of the red dye in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: DallasTexas
On 96 MB E300 with 300k+ miles.
I am sold on Kreen at 250k miles I had both Injector knock and blow-by. I added 1/2 Qt to engine and 1/2 Qt to Fuel when it was about 1/4 tank probably around 7 Gallons.

I drove the car about 500 miles then changed the Oil. It was like watered down molasses I was even able to get a magnet in (after I removed oil pressure switch in the sump) the oil pan and fish outd old bearing balls and little arm that fell in when my Vacuum pump failed.

The results: unstuck the rings and blow-by gone, the morning injector knock gone. I have did this twice in the last 50k miles and the engine noise is down, my perceptions is more power and I now occasionally put in about 3 oz into fuel to keep the injectors clean. Mind you these are original factory injectors that have never came out; on engine side I do not have even a seep out of the engine or transmission (did not used it on transmission).

Kindly post your results.

Thanks

I too have run Kreen through a Benz Diesel, and it did an incredible job at cleaning all the sludge and carbon from the engine. I did not however, put any Kreen in the fuel, I only put it in the crankcase. Is it safe to run through a diesel's fuel system and injection pump?

I have grown fond of the Schaeffer diesel fuel additive that I get with oil orders. At recommended application rate, costs me roughly 1-2 cents per gallon of diesel. Very cost effective and does a good job. I use winter version in cold weather, which brings the cost per gallon up to 2-3 cents per gallon of diesel. I get it in 5 gallon pails. One semi to 1.4 million miles when I got rid of it. Only one replaced injector. Following semi truck, 980,000 miles and no replaced injectors. Current semi, 479,000 miles on a factory rebuilt motor, and gets about 20-25% better fuel economy than commercial semi truck national average.

Diesel Kleen actually worked pretty well in my old 300D, smoothed out the idle (added it to an empty fuel filter @ the filter change). I've had decent results with the silver bottle of Power Service, it does seem to help with my '06 CR Cummins' cold idle. 2 stroke is great in an older IDI diesel (like my 6.2 & 7.3), not sure there's any real need for lubricity improver in a CR diesel, & I'm not sure what effects it would have on a DPF (if you have one).

Not sure if it just needed the carbon blown out or what since it doesn't smoke now either.

Could be build-up of oil in the intercooler that gets pushed through under high boost.

Stuff you put through the gas tank become heavily dilute, so the cleaning takes time. So the next logical thought is, how about about a large concentration?

Probably not practical on a full tank (and cost prohibitive).

But, Liqui Moly (aka Lubro Moly) has a product called Diesel Purge, which is about 60% (iirc) diesel and the rest additives. The TDI community likes this stuff

Basically, you remove the hoses out of the fuel filter (output & return) and put it into the can (or a clear jar, so it's easy to see the level) and run the engine until it's nearly empty.

Another thing you can do is, when you replace the fuel filter, prime the filter with your additive of choice. Then you get the initial hit of concentrated additives.

I try to use Diesel Clean in every tank on my MB ML 320cdi. If I forget to put it in, I notice right away the engine is louder...more diesel noise. If I add it later, it gets quieter. And MB 3.0 diesels are pretty quiet to begin with.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I've always used stanadyne lubricity formula which is supposed to clean and lubricate, but I was noticing it skipping slightly at idle when hot listening to the exhaust. Not sure if that's what it was since the truck runs smooth. Also for a while I did just use it for running around doing short trips a bunch and noticed it would smoke a good bit under moderate acceleration. I think it got carboned up a bit cause I started towing a trailer around almost everywhere and I think the constant higher egts cleaned out whatever carbon buildup there was cause it pretty much stopped doing the smoke and the mis. Just curious if anyone has had success with diesel clean cleaning injectors? Thinking about using it, but at the same time I've already been using stanadyne all along so I don't know. Thought?

https://www.amalgamatedinc.com/

When I had my diesel I bought a 6-pack of their TDR-FL. Went to Grainger and bought a 3(2?) gallon jug with ball-cock dispenser and used it to refill at 8 oz glass bottle that I would use to dose the tank.

Why?

They were the most economical source which used 2EHN as a cetane improver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back