303 tractor oil or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather recently passed away and my father and I are trying to due some maintenance on all the equipment he owned. It has been a pain to locate parts for his old tractors and such. I was just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the hydraulic oil we should be using in the skidder. It's a 1967 Timberjack 230 I believe. I see the old John Deere 303 is very cheap but I have concerns on it's ability in the cold as it will be used well below 0*F. I can see my gramp had been buying supertech stuff, AW32 if I recall correctly. Also, I saw some at Tractor Supply, "Traveler Premium Universal Trans/Hydraulic Fluid." On the back of this it says it's 10W-30. I appreciate the help.

I believe 303 is closer to the universal tractor/hydraulic as compared to cheapo AW32.Any moisture in the hydraulic system gets burned off at higher temps.So the cold weather shouldn't cause any issues as long as its run for a long period of time to heat things up.Run it 10 minutes and shut it off,thats when problems will arise.

the low vis hy-gard is good stuff

many of the generic buckets o tractor fluid are borderline fraud and can cause excessive wear.

I would think AW 32 in this application would leak like a sieve when at work...or at least as much as that 3-53 Detroit!
wink.gif

If you're shopping at Tractor Supply, I'd definitely get their RENEW Tractor Fluid and give those old seals a fighting chance...

Ramblejam - Yeah it always left a colorful trail of that AW32. Also, originally had the screamin' Detroit Diesel but my father and grandfather had changed the motor out for Ford probably in the 80s, making it hard to find an oil filter. Woulda been nice if my grampy wrote anything down!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

And if anyone can locate an oil filter for the model number for a Ford 826F 015 DAC that'd be awesome. I haven't hand any luck.

Originally Posted By: Rand
the low vis hy-gard is good stuff

many of the generic buckets o tractor fluid are borderline fraud and can cause excessive wear.
What he said

Originally Posted By: Hakkinen
And if anyone can locate an oil filter for the model number for a Ford 826F 015 DAC that'd be awesome. I haven't hand any luck.

Can you check the casting number again? On the left hand side (as viewed from the rear) near the starter motor (about 3/4" - 1" high).

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I didn't have luck with the casting number but under some crud I did find the model number, Ford 2722E. Apparently used for marine applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back