My 2015 Accord coupe was hit :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Why didn't the hood fit right at first? We're the panels replacement from Honda or some other stamper? Did you have to rustproof the insides of them at all before installing?

All panels that were replaced were from Honda. The whole left side of the hood just didnt have the same arch as the top of the fender but I got a repair credit from Honda and I fixed the hood with no filler work. Sometimes you just get a bad one out of the box. The underside of the hood was already painted so sending it back was not really an option at this point. We have been getting so bad parts lately from all the dealers. I body waxed all the sheet metal on the front end while it was apart.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
dan_erickson,

Which panels did you replace ? Did you replace the left front fender and hood ?

The hood, left fender, bumper cover, headlight and fog light bezel were replaced.

State Farm doesn't seem to report to CarFax. A deer hit me last year in my '12 Accord causing just short of $5k damage to the right side. Stem to stern.

I traded it for my '14 Accord and it never was on the radar. They didn't ask and I didn't tell either.

Thank you for sharing. I agree with Givemeavowel about people from Indiana
grin.gif

I imagine that working in a body shop assists your laid back attitude about car repairs. You deal with this stuff 24/7 and you also have control of the quality of the finished product. For the rest of us,its often a coin toss.

It looks like you did not blend the door paint into the rear quarter panel?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Used car buyers aren't typically going out looking to buy "hit" cars, unless they pay considerably under what an "un-hit" one would go for.

Depends how "considerably" is defined.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Thank you for sharing. I agree with Givemeavowel about people from Indiana
grin.gif

I imagine that working in a body shop assists your laid back attitude about car repairs. You deal with this stuff 24/7 and you also have control of the quality of the finished product. For the rest of us,its often a coin toss.

It looks like you did not blend the door paint into the rear quarter panel?

There would be no reason to paint the quarter. The door was used to blend the paint. The back of the door would match the quarter perfectly because the back of the door only has original paint on it.

Wow, I can tell the repair was done very well, looks great. I agree, no point stressing about things like accidents, since afterall..they are "accidents". As long as the occupants are okay.

Thanks guys! It turned out pretty good if I say so myself haha. I have been doing body work for ten years now and started off knowing nothing at all. I have repaired some family members cars that were wrecked pretty good including my mom's 2009 Fusion that the entire drivers side was wiped out including broken suspension pieces. It still looks great with over 200K on the odometer now. I am one of the very few that is young and takes some pride in quality work.

Looks great! You did a wonderful job and you take pride in your work.

Like you, I don't get too wrapped up about "things". Cars are nice when perfect, and a pleasure to own. However, they all age, get dings and chips, eventually rust sets in and the various mechanical's wear out.

Mama tore open the side of my F150 4x4, both doors, the bed, the step and the lower door jamb area. She was so upset. 2 new doors later, a new side panel welded on and bed repairs, it looks fine.

In fact, the paint is better than the original.

I made sure to use Boeshield corrosion inhibiting compound on the interior welds. Just in case. Rust won't be a problem there. So, I'm completely happy. It's back in fighting form!

I wish I had the patience for body work...I don't, but have seen what a great body man can do. I have seen cars rebuilt to be straighter than when they were built. After it got wrecked, I did plenty of the rebuild on my Caddy, but farmed out the major body work. (Core support, full left quarter, left rocker.)

Dan: ever do anything on a 1977-79 Caddy? (See sig.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I wish I had the patience for body work...I don't, but have seen what a great body man can do. I have seen cars rebuilt to be straighter than when they were built. After it got wrecked, I did plenty of the rebuild on my Caddy, but farmed out the major body work. (Core support, full left quarter, left rocker.)

I can't say that I have, the Caddy is older then me
smile.gif

Nice job! Could you have straightened out the hood to save some $$$? Did you have to replace the bumper cover? BTW I've seen some pretty badly damaged panels straightened.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Nice job! Could you have straightened out the hood to save some $$$? Did you have to replace the bumper cover? BTW I've seen some pretty badly damaged panels straightened.

I could have straightened that hood, but who want a newer car with filler. Same goes for the bumper. Neither of those two parts were really damaged that badly and I have repaired worse but being my and so new I'd rather just replace it.

If the car was a few years old I would be all about repairing the hood and bumper.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson

smile.gif

Not mine (I have no landau top), but same car and color:
79cad42412-1.jpg

Mine had a dent in a brutal spot: the panel behind the driver's door, just below the quarter window. One guy swore he could get it perfect...and he did. (There is no Bondo in the car...he knows the now-lost art of lead filler.) This dude is a miracle worker. He's been doing body work for about 45 years now, and he can straighten ANYTHING. If he can't, he can take flat sheetmetal and MAKE it. Sadly, he retired.
frown.gif

And I would bet serious money that he has done 90% of his work while totally baked.
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson

smile.gif

Not mine (I have no landau top), but same car and color:
79cad42412-1.jpg

Mine had a dent in a brutal spot: the panel behind the driver's door, just below the quarter window. One guy swore he could get it perfect...and he did. (There is no Bondo in the car...he knows the now-lost art of lead filler.) This dude is a miracle worker. He's been doing body work for about 45 years now, and he can straighten ANYTHING. If he can't, he can take flat sheetmetal and MAKE it. Sadly, he retired.
frown.gif

And I would bet serious money that he has done 90% of his work while totally baked.
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

I think that is how most of the old timer body men and painters did their best work. I have never tried lead filler and would like to give it a shot, along with TIG welding.

No, that was the amazing part: he did not replace any sheetmetal! He used some of his huge array of hammers and dollies (he has an entire 3-drawer tool chest of JUST those, many homemade and almost all at least modified) and worked the dent out from behind. (I did the required interior disassembly to save labor charges.) Even after having to replace the entire left quarter due to a major wreck, his repair is perfect. He also did the finish work and filler on that-no Bondo is not a small point of pride, especially on a New England car!

He didn't do the core support, a buddy did it for me. I don't care if that has visible welding work, since it's covered.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back