That clunking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I feel a little sheepish. Traverse has been occasionally clunking going over bumps, coming from the left front. Tried raising it and lowering it quickly in the driveway. Couldn't reproduce it. Tie rod ends are tight, struts don't seem to be worn or leaking. Noticed at the last tire rotation that the left front tire was a bit more worn than the others. Oh well, it was due for new tires anyway.

Visit the tire shop for 4 new BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A today, and after a little while the tech comes out to tell me there's something I need to see.

Leads me out to it, grabs the hub, and shows me how the lower ball joint has worn to the point where it wobbles through about 1/8".
eek.gif
Well, now I know what was making that noise. Also find out the stabilizer links are sticky and also making noise, so with new tires, new lower control arm, and new stabilizer links, it's a much quieter ride.

Note to self: Check the ball joints too.

That was the exact same noise and cause for my Element. Replaced the joint a few months ago and it's been silent since! Great feeling. Nice work!

Yeah my grandmother's Trailblazer had a clunk over bumps, turned out to be upper ball joints which were still tight when testing, but driving over bumps popped.

Drives much nicer now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back