How To Disconnent Evap Purge Solenoid Vacuum Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier that needs its Purge solenoid replaced and can't figure out how to get the vac lines off. It looks like there may be a special tool required. The solenoid is located on the back of the engine near the intake manifold, so space is limited to boot. Anybody done one of these?

You probably need a "fuel line disconnect tool", but you can redneck it with a flat blade screwdriver.

There are two plastic "push-ins" 180 degrees apart. The trick is to push one in, hold it cock-eyed, then push the other side in before the first side pops back out.

You don't need a tool to remove that. I can't picture the exact connection but I am 100% you only need your fingers to remove the lines.

Beast, do you have to squeeze it together? Maybe I don't have enough hand strength anymore, but I tried that already where it seemed logical to squeeze.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Beast, do you have to squeeze it together? Maybe I don't have enough hand strength anymore, but I tried that already where it seemed logical to squeeze.

I would have to see it. I don't remember from memory.

It's more than likely bad. The CEL as been on for a couple weeks, and I was checking out the possible causes. One was the purge solenoid. When I was trying to mess with it today, the CEL mysteriously went out next time I drove the car, as I must have jiggled something with the valve or connections to make it work again. Nothing else had been done, so I'm almost positive that's what the problem is.

Update: I figured out how the retainer holds onto the purge valve. I didn't need any tools as the retainer has a little lever you slide (in a clockwise direction about 1/8 turn) to release the vac hose. I have never seen one like this. Anyways, thanks for the help and the check engine light remains off! Part cost 25 bucks at Advance (but is made in China).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back