Mixed Castrol 0W40 & 0W20 4k Miles - 2004 S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time ever UOA courtesies of Pennzoil UOA kit.

Used Mityvac 7201 to extract the oil, the container had few ounces of used oil & ATF from previous extractions. The sample was taken a week after I transferred the used oil into a 5 quart jug. This sample was contaminated with other fluid.

The wear metal is good consider that the engine saw many 8k redline and mostly driven in city with distances of around 3-10 miles, on highway the engine is turning at around 4300-4500 RPM most of the time at speed around 80-85 MPH.

The flashpoint is a little low at 365F. After the next PP UOA kit I will increase 0W40 a little to 2/3 instead of 1/2, or just use 10W30.

Note: This sample had 1/3 can Liqui Moly MOS2

Code:
MI/HR on Oil 4018

MI/HR on Unit 53722

Sample Date 10/14/2015

Make Up Oil Added 0

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 5

COPPER 3

LEAD 0

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 166

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 186

SILICON 6

SODIUM 99

CALCIUM 2830

MAGNESIUM 15

PHOSPHORUS 754

ZINC 885

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 58.4

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.76

Flashpoint in °F 365

Fuel % TR

Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.1

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
First time ever UOA courtesies of Pennzoil UOA kit.

Used Mityvac 7201 to extract the oil, the container had few ounces of used oil & ATF from previous extractions. The sample was taken a week after I transferred the used oil into a 5 quart jug. This sample was contaminated with other fluid.

Wear metal were outstanding. You may have discovered a new formulation. Next time put some coffee grounds in it too .....
grin.gif

I'm thinking about mixing 0w20 and 0w40 PU for my car that takes Xw30. This report convinces me that it is a good idea to do so.

Thanks.

Your title says Castrol.
I think you used Pennzoil Platinum though, OK, with LM MOS2 1/3 of a can. Mixed 50/50 0w-20 and 0w-40. Some ATF fluid in there.
I guess Pennzoil can't use the results. Good results though.
Low insolubles, what oil filter did you use?

Not even 1ppm Titanium...

Funny how both (Black and Gold) say "with Titanium". Castrol appears to moving away from that additive.

But regardless, the UOA looks fantastic HTSS_TR.The mix worked very well as far as this UOA shows.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Funny how both (Black and Gold) say "with Titanium". Castrol appears to moving away from that additive.

But regardless, the UOA looks fantastic HTSS_TR.The mix worked very well as far as this UOA shows.

Its the PP UOA kit he says, so did he use PP? Not Castrol? Lack of titanium seems to back that up.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: wemay

Its the PP UOA kit he says, so did he use PP? Not Castrol? Lack of titanium seems to back that up.

I'm not sure where he would've found Pennzoil 0W-40 though. Not impossible, but difficult.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Your title says Castrol.
I think you used Pennzoil Platinum though, OK, with LM MOS2 1/3 of a can. Mixed 50/50 0w-20 and 0w-40. Some ATF fluid in there.
I guess Pennzoil can't use the results. Good results though.
Low insolubles, what oil filter did you use?

I have Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 from the UOA kit in the car now. This UOA is for the oil in the car the last 9-10 months.

When I change out this PP 10W30 next year Pennzoil will send a new UOA kit, I will post PP 10W30 result then.

Oil filter is oversized Wix 51347(3.2” X 4.1”) instead of OEM size 51334(3.0" X 3.2").

The filter currently in the engine with PP 10W30 is Honda OEM 15400-PCX-004.

The engine air filter is original, almost 12 years old now. I bought the car in November 2003.

Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I'm thinking about mixing 0w20 and 0w40 PU for my car that takes Xw30. This report convinces me that it is a good idea to do so.

Thanks.

I mixed M1 0W40 with FE 0W20, Castrol 0W40 with 0W20. I try to stay within brand/type if possible.

My reason for mixing is to increase(or decrease) HTHS to what I think(I may be wrong) is good for my cars.

Last edited:
All of the wear metal numbers look good. Interesting results, that seems to be working well for that ap2.

Last edited:
I mixed M1 0W40 with FE 0W20, Castrol 0W40 with 0W20. I try to stay within brand/type if possible.

My reason for mixing is to increase(or decrease) HTHS to what I think(I may be wrong) is good for my cars.

That's a good way of doing it if that's what you do.

Did the KV outcome meet your expectations ?

No, it's a bit thinner than I expected. May be because I had my engine redlined many times(several times daily). Next time I will increase 0W40 to 2/3.

Maybe due to the revving, maybe not.

Member KCJeep used some Castrol products for a blend to make a 5W30 and ended up a bit light on KV100 as well.

I agree, throw in a bit more 0W40

The weather in Southern California is fairly mild, normally we have less than 10 days a year with temperature above 90F(32C), and we rarely see anything below 40-45F(4-6C). The winter weight is not a real concern for us, 5W or 10W or 20W doesn't make any difference when we start the engine first time after few days hibernate.

My only concern is shear stable at operating temperature, most xW30(syn or dino) has HTHS around 3.0-3.2 , except German Castrol 0W30 and few others. I like to buy oils that are readily available at local stores, and mixing same brand and type to get HTHS 3.3-3.4 is what I am after.

This UOA indicated that mixing oils of same brand didn't hurt the engine at all.

Thanks for viewing and express your opinions.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Thanks.

How does this UOA compare to the Mobil 1 mix? I've been using a 2/6 0W20 AFE to 4/6 0W40 Mobil 1 mix in my S2000s for a few years; but I haven't tested the results.

Thanks.

The reason he has no titanium additives is because those were older batches of Black Edge 0w40. Eventually Castrol did add titanium additives. 0w40 without titanium was made in Belgium, later, the 0w40 with titanium was made in Germany.

0w20 Black Edge also originally had no titanium, but later a version with titanium was introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back