Paid 1st Note With 2015 PSD In Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really overly upset about paying the first note in the shop, but am a little irritated it took two separate trips to sort the issues.

One small issue and one medium. Small issue was when they performed the pre-delivery inspection, the protective plastic wrap was not removed from the grill emblem and it consequently melted to the emblem and I could not remove it. Although it did not look horrible, a new truck should not have this so I demanded they replace it.

Medium issue was the steering wheel was turned about 10 degrees to the right (not straight, even when truck was driving straight). Subconsciously, I kept trying to turn the wheel to the left to straighten it which made the truck move to the left.

I brought it in when it had 500 or so miles on it to sort these issues and they claimed the alignment was off and they would take care of the emblem. Afterwards, the wheel was straightened some but was still off and they did not replace the emblem.

I had to travel for business and upon return did not have the time to bring it into the shop for them to repair it. So I continued to drive it, but I noticed the front end had a vibration that was steadily becoming worse. I took it to Discount Tire and had all 4 tires balanced, but it only marginally improved the vibration.

Soon thereafter I noticed the left front tire was wearing in an angular pattern from outside to inside (1/4" or more wear) and the inside tread was badly scalloped. In addition, there was a loud popping coming from the front end when I slowly went over bumps (such as speed bumps). At this point I had about 3200 miles on the truck and I knew something was seriously wrong. I took it back to the dealer and flatly stated that I wanted two new tires on the front (they are $300+ each), the steering wheel alignment needed to be corrected, front end aligned (or re-aligned, but I was skeptical they did it the first time), and the emblem replaced.

After two days, they called to say a defective body mount was causing the popping and the left outer tie-rod had failed causing the alignment/steering wheel problem. In the end, after two trips that totaled about 1.5 weeks, they replaced all of the defective parts including two new tires on the front. I pick it up in a few hours so I will see how it goes from there.

However, despite these initial issues, I still love the truck and accept that things like this happen on mass produced vehicles--it could have been worse. My 1992 Chevrolet C3500 had a tie-rod that fell off at 100 miles and the idiot tow truck driver towed it on the back wheels without removing the drive shaft and destroyed the 5 speed transmission. After 60 days in the shop (first year for the NP4500 5 speed and no spare parts in the channels), Chevrolet had to give me a new truck.

My boss had to bring his under-a-year-old dodge ram to the dealer for multiple trips. The aluminum lower control arm wallowed out somehow around the ball joint hole. They claimed to have never seen such a thing, and Alcoa wanted the part back. It happens.

It could be worse... at least you're not completely replacing a blown 6.0 or 6.4 engine.

But, with most everything else... you make your choices and then you take your chances.

I wonder if the alignment being off put that much extra wear on it?

They are pretty simple as far as modern vehicles go. I believe the tierod is a single unit, so it should be a whole new one with two new ends.

It's good that it got fixed.

I remember when my parents bought a 2004 Wrangler and it had a new NV3550 in 100 miles. It was leaking fluid when they got it home from the dealer (35 miles away). They drove it back up there but the transmission already started to chew itself up.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
My 1992 Chevrolet C3500 had a tie-rod that fell off at 100 miles and the idiot tow truck driver towed it on the back wheels without removing the drive shaft and destroyed the 5 speed transmission.

I knew how to do that when I was 12, for crying out loud.
wink.gif
Besides, I fit under the vehicle better than my dad!

Had a 2002 V6 Duratech Ford Escape leak half a quart on my garage floor with 20 miles on it. After 4 days at the dealer, needs new engine. Bad casting on the block meant non-repairable.
Asked them to take it back and choose another from the lot, which they did.

I bought a new 1978 Dodge pickup slant 6 and the engine had a vibration from the start. After several trips to the dealer a new crankshaft was was finally determined to be the problem.

I had a 1987 E-150 that was back to the dealer at least 25 times for an intermittent stalling problem which they couldn't fix. Even a so called top Ford tech was sent in to assist the shop with the repair I still have the folder with all the invoices from the dealership for the work done to it. The attempted repairs and parts they tossed at it totaled more than the cost of the van, which I bought new. I was extremely patient and persistent. About a year after I took title to it I got a call from Ford corporate asking what I wanted them to do. I had a good laugh telling them they could have resolved it a lot sooner for a lot less money instead of wasting my time and their money. My choices were a full refund, or another new van. I placed a factory order for another van, and took a check for over $4,000 for conversions I had done to the van. Every once in a while a lemon rolls off the line.

We had one of those at work too. No wonder we got it cheap.
Had a 3 sp column shifter- never did get fixed!

rare to see a body mount or tie rod end fail new. Interesting. Maybe why they didn't diagnosis it right when it was new.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It could be worse... at least you're not completely replacing a blown 6.0 or 6.4 engine.

...yet.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
...yet.
Well, that is a practical impossibility since my engine is a 6.7L...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
If you build enough of anything your going to get a few failures.
And this is why I am not overly concerned/upset. TBT, with the millions that are made of every type of car each year, I am surprised there are not more incidents like this.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Ford Tough.
Ummm...yeah...care to put that Dodge up against it?

Originally Posted By: Need4racin
rare to see a body mount or tie rod end fail new. Interesting. Maybe why they didn't diagnosis it right when it was new.
I have had more than one tie-rod fail when new, so that was not a surprise, but the body mount--how does that fail? Rubber/polymer separate from the steel? At any rate, I drove it for about 40 miles and the difference is night and day.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I wonder if the alignment being off put that much extra wear on it?
According the service writer, it had about 0.75" of play in it. Makes you wonder how it made it out of the vendors plant (obviously Ford does not make these parts themselves).

It happens....to all makes.
I've got a neighbor with a six-month-old Ram pickup. The dealer has had the engine tore apart three times now and it has less than 8K miles on it. The first time it was in the shop was to replace the crankshaft. My neighbor is attempting to get a new one out of the dealer because he thinks the value of the truck has severely depreciated. So far, it hasn't happened.

I'd rather have problems appear right out of the gate. Usually indicates a defective part. What's bad is when stuff fails after 15-30K and you have to wonder if it's poor engineering or manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back