Top Tier Gas Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talked about it last week where in my area all the top gas retailers use the same fuel service, An independent wholesaler.

I have no faith in the Top Tier website. I have investigated my local retailers and
came to the conclusion that it means very little.

Yesterday I talked to my local Shell gas station owner. He told me that he is not obligated to buy Shell gas. He too uses that independent fuel service on occasion for whom I called and they sell one gas. Offer no differing additive packs and only different octanes.

The Shell owner said he looks for deals on gas and uses Shell but when he runs out and they can't deliver quickly enough or get too pricey, he gets it where he can. He said it's that way everywhere.

Preparing for a beating.......

Thank you for the 1,000,001 Top Tier thread. I for one could not care less what faith you have in the Top Tier website, your problem sounds like it is the local dealer's ethics and nothing more. If he advertises Top Tier fuel then he should be selling Top Tier fuel, end of story. If he's not then I would think the Top Tier organization would like to hear about it.

Assuming he said that in the first place of course.

You'll get no beating from me. Around here, Corrigan Oil is a big supplier of fuel. I've seen their trucks go from one station to the next. Both stations are different brands and have no affiliation. The only thing I can surmise is that stations that are independently owned (Many Shell stations are, and all BP stations in the US are) can buy gas from wherever they like. Personally, I don't really think about it. I buy wherever's cheapest and run a quality fuel system cleaner every year or so.

Just because they may use an independent transporter and supplier, does not mean their gas does not meet certain specs. All fuel for all stations in an area comes from the same 1 or more fuel terminals in the area. When the tanker is loaded at the terminal, then additives specified by the retailer is added to the fuel stream as it is loaded. It is not uncommon to compare daily/hourly price between fuel terminals and change which terminal the retailer is buying from. Same as any car owner does in comparing gas prices at the pump. When I tanked fuel, I kept a list of pricing from 5 different fuel terminals at the ready. Those price sheets were updated 3 times a day. Now, this was back in the 90's, but would bet not much has changed in that regard. Your shell station is just using a independent as the go between to get their fuel at the best price they can.

Why read and respond then?
Fraud is fraud.
It's a $30,000 Marketing scam.
You pay, we put you in a good light.
Fraud!

I with you on that!

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
You'll get no beating from me. Around here, Corrigan Oil is a big supplier of fuel. I've seen their trucks go from one station to the next. Both stations are different brands and have no affiliation. The only thing I can surmise is that stations that are independently owned (Many Shell stations are, and all BP stations in the US are) can buy gas from wherever they like. Personally, I don't really think about it. I buy wherever's cheapest and run a quality fuel system cleaner every year or so.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I with you on that!

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
+1

Originally Posted By: kschachn
"...your problem sounds like it is the local dealer's ethics and nothing more. If he advertises Top Tier fuel then he should be selling Top Tier fuel, end of story. If he's not then I would think the Top Tier organization would like to hear about it."

I was thinking the same thing. The "fact" that he doesn't sell it when all Shell stations are supposed to, is not an indictment of TTier. It shows that he is unethical. I wouldn't purchase gas there.

I also keep hearing how TTier "costs more". I can't speak for other parts of the country, but here in South Florida, Top Tier or not, it all costs the same, and Costco, which is also TTier, is actually cheapest.

Very true. I just think it's more widespread that you may believe. Not you personally but the consumers. I like to buy gas where there is a good turnover daily and at a fair price. I think I'll leave TT gas as is..........

Originally Posted By: wemay
"...your problem sounds like it is the local dealer's ethics and nothing more. If he advertises Top Tier fuel then he should be selling Top Tier fuel, end of story. If he's not then I would think the Top Tier organization would like to hear about it."

I was thinking the same thing. The "fact" that he doesn't sell it when all Shell stations are supposed to, is not an indictment of TTier. It shows that he is unethical. I wouldn't purchase gas there.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I also keep hearing how TTier "costs more". I can't speak for other parts of the country, but here in South Florida, Top Tier or not, it all costs the same, and Costco, which is also TTier, is actually cheapest.

They probably all do it unless they're locked in. At least the guy was honest about the practice.

Instead of getting caught up in national marketing campaigns you should find a local station you like and buy there. If you're worried about your engine being extra clean run a cleaner every once in a while. I hate Citgo .corp but I really like the guys that own the Citgo station. The Shell branded stores are the same price but when you go there not one person working there cares about anything except their next smoke break.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Very true. I just think it's more widespread that you may believe. Not you personally but the consumers. I like to buy gas where there is a good turnover daily and at a fair price. I think I'll leave TT gas as is..........

No problem there. As another poster mentioned, you can always dump a bottle of Techron or Gummout etc., in there and call it a day. I don't think anyone here is going to change the other's mind. Top Tier has become as contentious as K&N, thin v thick oil, and Coke v Pepsi.

I use Top Tier maybe 70% of the time. The other 30% is purchased at a local Marathon station because the employees there are very friendly, the traffic is high and the place is always clean.

But i have no doubts Top Tier is more than just marketing.

Originally Posted By: hatt
They probably all do it unless they're locked in. At least the guy was honest about the practice.

Honest?? If he was honest, he would remove the labels saying "Top Tier" and any other signage.

Honest?? If he was honest, he would remove the labels saying "Top Tier" and any other signage.
Who said he had TT signage displayed at his store?

Good point, then this thread is more meaningless than I thought. I took the point to be that his station was listed on the TT website but he didn't necessarily sell TT fuel.

Good catch.

I'm sure the detergent gets dumped in to the underground storage tank or gets added when the truck is being filled.

If the detergency is the same as non-Top Tier fuel, it would create a class action scandal they wouldn't want.

I am pretty sure you get your few extra cents worth going Top Tier, and I am a pretty big Tinfoil Hat kinda guy.

As far as I'm aware - if a brand states they are going to be Top Tier, then they MUST be Top Tier... otherwise they can face fines, etc. Now that being said - Top Tier simply is in relation to the detergent content of the fuel... NOT that a "Shell station must sell Shell fuel"... meaning as long as your particular station's owner is buying fuel that meets the Top Tier certification, then he's technically by-the-book. That being said - I'd still find another station to buy from if I was in your shoes... because it's obvious his ethics are somewhat cloudy.

http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/

Quote:
Can I have only my high volume gas stations be TT and not all of them?
No. A TOP TIER license agreement states that all stations under a brand name or franchise name must use the same detergency treat rate. The fuel marketer cannot select only certain service stations to use the TOP TIER detergency treat rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back