1999 oldsmobile lss supercharged premium or unlead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i just bought a 1999 supercharged lss oldsmobile and have no idea what kind of gas the previous owner put in it and was wondering should i put unleaded in it or premium since its supercharged i was thinking go with premium but not sure?

I had an '02 Grand Prix GTP which should be the same supercharged 3800 V6 Series II as yours. If my memory serves me correctly, the motor should take 92/93 octane, which was recommended by GM. I think in '04 models (series III) they said you could run a lesser octane but that would cost you 30 or so horses.

I think he mean 87 vs Premium.

Again have owned three of the supercharged 3800, run premium. They do not care for 87.

l67 in Oz was "premium" only (they added a recommended after it as it was (and the Oz Delco hackers have confirmed) on knock retard heavily on regular.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
If my memory serves me correctly, the motor should take 92/93 octane, which was recommended by GM.

What do you do if the gas pump buttons say [87] [89] [91] ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If my memory serves me correctly, the motor should take 92/93 octane, which was recommended by GM.

You might be at high elevation

Basic oil and filter of your choice... premium 91 or 93 gas... a blast of fuel conditioner every few months... replace air and fuel filter... plugs... fresh battery... supercharger may have some internals that need cleaning... after 16 years... gotta be some Oldsmobile websites with lots of info...
Sounds like a fun car... kinda rare...

Originally Posted By: expat
When was Leaded fuel last a requirement for North American made Autos?

Mid 70's?

Unleaded-ready engines started showing up around '71, were prutty much universal by '73, and unleaded was mandatory for the first time (first year of catcons) in 1975.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

When I lived in Denver, the three octanes were, I think, 85, 87, 91. Not sure about the regular number, though. When I drove up to Georgetown (8500 feet) one Christmas, I remember the regular gas was lower octane than in Denver, but 84 seems low even for that elevation. Denver might have been 86 and Georgetown 85.

I'm at 940 feet, and those are my usual choices at the pump. Very few places in the KC area offer 93.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

When I lived in Denver, the three octanes were, I think, 85, 87, 91. Not sure about the regular number, though. When I drove up to Georgetown (8500 feet) one Christmas, I remember the regular gas was lower octane than in Denver, but 84 seems low even for that elevation. Denver might have been 86 and Georgetown 85.

I traveled through that area this summer, and the regular was 85. I opted for premium and got good mileage. I was driving the 3.5 Challenger, and out west in SD I got 35 mpg. I was stunned it got so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back