HF Welding Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go lazy:
laugh.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welding-helmets.html

Originally Posted By: cat843
Are these good enough for a Shadetree welder? Work well and protect eyes? The Speedglas ones for $400 look nicer.

I picked up a cheap one at princess auto in Canada for $40 on sale. For what it does for the price it was good. I don't think you'll go wrong.

The HF one has alot of good reviews which means something. I am not a welder but would make sure it meets welding safety standards so as not to damage eyes. There should be some ANSI standards that it meets. Check the manual.

I use mine for a few minutes every couple months or so. No ,it does not compare to a Miller helmet but it does the job

I have a cheap but not HF one and occasionally block the solar panel with my free hand or with some other part of the car, like a fender. Its glass is then in less-than-coal-black mode for a startling flash. This is a design/ operator error, but I'd look for one where the solar panel isn't too far from the glass.

The only issue I would have with the HF one is there is no easy way for an average person to tell if its causing eye damage. I would not trust the label where is says it "meets xxx standard". Who is doing the testing, the Chinese?

I use the Miller which is far superior to a HF model.

Reason.

1) The Miller has a replaceable battery, the HF doesn't. If the built in battery fails the hood has to be pitched. This happened to a friend that had a HF hood. He now owns a Miller.

2) Parts are easily found at any welding supply co. that sells Miller welding equipment.

3) The Miller hood has a slot to receive a Mag lens if you need it,(I do) the HF does not.

Buy the Miller, you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

Reason.

1) The Miller has a replaceable battery, the HF doesn't. If the built in battery fails the hood has to be pitched. This happened to a friend that had a HF hood. He now owns a Miller.

2) Parts are easily found at any welding supply co. that sells Miller welding equipment.

3) The Miller hood has a slot to receive a Mag lens if you need it,(I do) the HF does not.

Which one of the Miller ones listed above do you suggest?

I cant speak for TIG but i would go with this one. It has a much faster reaction time and triple sensors, X mode among other things. Its a Miller, they are no 1 in welding stuff and know what a good helmet needs to be safe. Don't trust your eyesight to cheap $hit.
The last guy in the world you want to meet up with is the sandman. You would gladly pay a lot more than $110 to get rid of him.

My reason for this helmet over the other 2 is it will still detect an arc even if the sensors are blocked which may happen working under a car and its also good for grinding.

http://www.weldersupply.com/P/1297/ClassicSeriesVSiPart2609

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cat843
Originally Posted By: tig1

Reason.

Which one of the Miller ones listed above do you suggest?

This one.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I cant speak for TIG but i would go with this one. It has a much faster reaction time and triple sensors, X mode among other things. Its a Miller, they are no 1 in welding stuff and know what a good helmet needs to be safe. Don't trust your eyesight to cheap $hit.
The last guy in the world you want to meet up with is the sandman. You would gladly pay a lot more than $110 to get rid of him.

My reason for this helmet over the other 2 is it will still detect an arc even if the sensors are blocked which may happen working under a car and its also good for grinding.

One of the Amazon reviews said "not for people with huge heads" others say its heavy. I take an extra large hat most times.

One thing to remember. The multi hundred dollar Miller very likely has the same electronic unit in it that the Harbor freight unit has. Just wear some dark welding glasses to help protect from initial arc, and you then of course dial back the darkness of the filter. Hardly anything us pee ons get as far as electronics is made from US its all "distributed by" them and made off shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back