'15 3ltr Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be very interested in any comments on these reports as I am just learning about oil and these are my first analysis.
I have done a lot of reading on this site so have a basic knowledge bit still lots I don't understand.
Purchased the Jeep new, first 3500k's was normal running around before we left for a 5 month outback trip towing a 3000kg caravan.
From 10,000k's to 20,000k,s was the most extreme, most days the temperature was in the mid 30s Centigrade and extremely dusty. The oil temp never got over 112 and most the time sat on 105.
Analysis was done by ALS

Date
Total km's
Oil km's

Oil

Sorry, did something wrong and the important part was missed.
Hope this works.

Date 4-Sept-15 26-June-15
Total km's 19760 9410
Oil km's 10260 9410

Oil Mobil1 ESP 5w-30 Factory Fill

Metals(ppm)
Aluminium 5 11
[/u][/b]Nickel 1 2
Copper 6 29
Chromium 2 3
Iron 52 141
Lead Tin 1
Contaminants and Additives(ppm)
Silicon 14 43
Boron 131 Sodium Potassium 4 11
Phosphorus 624 658
Molybdenum 66 Calcium 1176 1857
Magnesium 9 9
Zinc 774 788

Physical Tests
Water% Soot % 0.6 0.6
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 11.9 11.6
PQ Index Oxidation (Abs) 35.2 13.7
Sulphation (Abs) 32.2 19.6
Fuel % 1 2
Total Base Number 7.3 8.0

Comments from first report
All wear levels within normal limits for run in period. Dirt level (alumina+silica) high. Water content acceptable. Fuel dilution satisfactory. Please check recorded viscosity against requirements.

Action
Check all dirt access points(breathers/seals). as oil and filters already changed. Resample at a reduced service interval to monitor and establish wear trend.

Comments from 2nd report
All wear rates normal. Soot/solids content exceeds tolerance limit. Other contaminant levels acceptable.
Viscosity within specified operating range.

Action
Check for possible increase in operating temperature. As oil and filters already changed, resample next recommended service interval to further monitor.

Some of the areas I am confused about are
TBN reading seems high for a low SAPS oil
Comment about high soot/solids where soot was the same as previous.
High oxidation and Sulphation on 2nd report compared to the first.

Thanks in advance
Trevor

Again apologises, had it all nicely spaced out when I typed it but didn,t come up that way.
Looks like I have more than oil to learn about.

Trevor

There are others far more knowledgeable about that engine, but it looks fine to me. That oil really works well with the 3 liter diesel. If you look up Swampyy (I believe that's his handle), he has posted a couple excellent reports on his Jeep and he's down there in your general neighborhood. He used the same oil and got great results.

The TBN does seem a bit high for the number of KM's, but that's a good thing. The soot is higher than I'm used to seeing but nothing outrageous. It could be a little over fueling (showing 1-2 % fuel in reports). A clogged air filter could cause extra soot but I can't imagine the factory fill suffering from a shortage of air. Maybe check for an air restriction beyond the air filter (?). Doesn't seem likely, though. Otherwise there could be an overfueling situation for some reason.

Hopefully guys more familiar will chime in here sooner or later.

Edit- regarding higher oxidation, sulfation on the second report, that's from the towing you did. Running higher oil temps and quickening the oxidation process.

Last edited:
While it doesn't seem likely, you may have a bad injector. An injector(s) that isn't spraying optimally and causing a poor burn and causing a little extra soot and fuel into the oil.

Dustyroads, thanks for the info. Gives me some homework to do.
Will not be doing much towing between now and the next oil change so will be interested to see the difference.

Trevor

I went and found a few of my reports on my heavy duty diesels and found a few with soot at 0.4 - 0.5 %. Those reports from an ALS lab as well.

I'm not sure that you have a problem. I just wouldn't expect that much soot, nor fuel in the oil on a new engine. There is a guy here with a Ford 6.7L that has plenty of fuel in every report, yet his dealer says there's nothing wrong. Occasionally, new engines do have bad parts (like faulty injectors).

See what your next report says. If you don't tow much, your oxidation will be back down and the iron level should drop due to the excess of wear in getting flushed out.

I may be making something out of nothing and I hope so. Still hoping for comments from people well informed about that little diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back