Help with SS conversion of 21 spd MTB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help switching a 21spd mtb into a single speed. I think I have the jist, but, my crankset is riveted, doh! Drivetrain is a Shimano 200gs. Good news is my frame has horiz dropout so I shouldn't need to run a tensioner. What can I do cheaply to run a single crankwheel up front?

not a biker, but as an old Ranger owner I've drilled out several rivets. It ain't rocket science.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
not a biker, but as an old Ranger owner I've drilled out several rivets. It ain't rocket science.
grin2.gif

you've made it very clear you aren't a biker

Assuming you have square taper bottom bracket? Is this a budget build or are you trying to do it right? Really, your only option to do it "right" is to replace the cranks with some that will accommodate a single speed chainwheel, although this shouldn't be a big deal. Look for used track cranks, or used middle of the road MTB or road cranks also. Surly and Salsa both make some nice SS chainwheels IIRC but the trick will be finding a crankset to work with your frame and bottom bracket spindle length without being able to try them out. Although if you get a used triple crankset that would give you three possible positions to place a chainring for best chainline and frame clearance.

If this is all news, it may be beneficial to stop by your LBS and speak with the mechanics for a while. I know one of the things many people, including myself, enjoy about a SS conversion is tinkering with it to get it "just right." Of course, if you don't have a parts stash yet, you will after a while!

Last edited:
You have 3 rings by the crank. Cheapest way is to grind down the teeth on the big ring and leave it as a bashguard. Use the middle ring only. Leave the small ring alone.
You can't use the freewheel. I don't know of any other way than to get a freewheel. I use Surly cogs because their wide base helps to keep the hub from getting gouged by your monstrous torque.

Find a gear that you like. Usually using the middle front chainring, pick a rear cog that gives you a gear that you like but which gives youi a good chain line, meaning the chain is on one of the cogs towards the center of the gearset in the rear.

Now take the chain out of the rear deraileir (and the front) and cut the chain so it just goes around the front chainring and rear cog you have selected.

Not pretty but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back