Synthetic oil slips past worn valve seals quicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is starting to consume oil and is exhibiting symptoms of having worn valve stem seals. The consumption seems to have increased when I switched to synthetic oil so next oil change I am going conventional oil.
Question is, does this make sense? Has anyone observed this before?

If you think your oil consumption is due to worn/aged valve stem seals, chances are, it is.

syn or non-syn doesn't matter in this case, for the valve stem seal elastomeric materials have lost it's ability to "meter" the oil that gets through the valve stem guides...thus the burning part.

The only way to remedy this situation is to replace the valve stem seal and better yet: check guide to stem clearances.

Don't overthink about syn or no syn in this case, for they (oil, regardless of composition) still gets past valve guides due to loss of "metering" from valve stem seals.

Q.

If it's valve stem seals, it should be smoking pretty good. Especially at idle and just off idle. I've seen M1 bring valve seals back to life, but you have to give it some time - 200 to 1000 miles for example. Synthetic will go past RM seals and not really bring them back - you'll see the evidence on your driveway.

What kind of car and how many miles?

I'd probably try a HM oil like Maxlife of PHM ...

The engine is a 2.2 GM ecotec with 165,000 miles. Oil consumption has tripled in the last 70,000 miles. During this time I switched to synthetic, so I'm asking if anyone has noticed synthetic oil slipping past worn valve seals at a higher rate than a conventional oil would.

Go to 10-40 conventional and I'll bet oil consumption will halt. I had similar issue, with conventional vehicle burned little oil, with synthetic used much oil.

Stem seals are no biggie, heck they didn't even exist not long ago. just keep the oil full and you'll be golden.

Same thing with my Blazer. I used to use PP off and on but mostly in the winter. But when it reached about 180k it would burn thru about a 1qt every few days. I gave up and went to using a conventional HM and it was much better.

What materials are valve stem seals usually made of, and are they able to be slightly swelled/'conditioned' by the various HM oils, or ester based additives like the LM Motor Oil saver??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
What materials are valve stem seals usually made of, and are they able to be slightly swelled/'conditioned' by the various HM oils, or ester based additives like the LM Motor Oil saver??
21.gif

Usually nitrile, polyacrylate or viton but there are some others also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back