VW's Emissions Retrofit May Be Among Costliest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Volkswagen AG’s worldwide repair of 11 million diesel vehicles to bring their emissions systems into compliance with pollution regulations is shaping up to be one of the most complex and costly fixes in automotive history.

“I can’t think of any other recall that would be as comprehensive,” said Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing at Consumer Reports magazine. “It’s really an expensive rework.”

The repair costs are only part of what Volkswagen is going to have to spend to get through a corporate crisis sparked by revelations it rigged its diesel cars for years to fool emissions tests. The company is also compensating dealers for storing cars they can’t sell. It faces more than 325 consumer lawsuits in the U.S.

Fisher said the only comparably complex recalls involved replacing an entire engine or a structural frame in older pickup trucks. Even then, automakers in those recalls were replacing a defective part with a new part of a similar size in the same place.

Volkswagen will have to find a place for a multigallon urea tank. They may have to drill through sheet metal to create a filler neck that’s convenient for consumers who would need to replenish the liquid every three or four months. It may cost thousands of dollars per car, he said.

“It’s going to require an uncomfortable amount of hacking at the car,” said Bill Visnic, an independent automotive analyst based in Weirton, West Virginia. “There’s no real pretty way to put it. You’re going to have to drill some holes and run some lines under the car. You’ve got to find someplace to put the tank. It’s going to add up pretty quickly.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...st-recalls-ever

Funny most of you don't bat an eye when the government abuses the people, it's just because VW is a private entity, right..an "evil" corporation. If the government made cars you wound't question a thing.

If they would have used adblue to begin with, instead of thinking that low end vw drivers are all dumb knuckle draggers, this might never have happened...

What kind of person would bring their VW TDI in for this "service" ?

the mentally insane tree huggers are the only ones who come to mind.

That being said I may start looking around for an undoctored TDI Jetta wagon at 50% less than the kbb blue book value...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

People who live in an area that requires a regular emission test or inspection...

People who live in an area that requires an annual inspections for registration that involves checking for open recalls...

People who live in an area where it is required to have all recalls completed before selling the vehicle...

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

People who live in an area that requires a regular emission test or inspection...

People who live in an area that requires an annual inspections for registration that involves checking for open recalls...

People who live in an area where it is required to have all recalls completed before selling the vehicle...

never heard of that.
I sell my car to my neighbor who checks for recalls? how is that enforced?

Last edited:
It's enforced when he goes to register the vehicle in his name and is required to provide a letter from the dealer that all recalls have been performed.

That being said I may start looking around for an undoctored TDI Jetta wagon at 50% less than the kbb blue book value...

In the long term, I do not think non-compliance of any fix will be avoidable by any TDI owner. The simple fact is each vehicle is illegally non-compliant in relation to emissions. I can see the EPA eventually pushing the issue for VW to show compliance for every single vehicle with whatever recall comes about or have any non-compliant vehicle confiscated and crushed for which the EPA has the power to do.

So all of that stuff they have to do - that means that you can't just tell the computer to run in "emissions test" mode all the time, rather than just when it's being tested?

Originally Posted By: tcp71
It's enforced when he goes to register the vehicle in his name and is required to provide a letter from the dealer that all recalls have been performed.

so in canada every single vehicle transaction involves a trip to the DEALER? holy smokes!
do you people have that much free time?
who wants to go to the dealer on their day off and sit around a for a few hours?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So all of that stuff they have to do - that means that you can't just tell the computer to run in "emissions test" mode all the time, rather than just when it's being tested?

this is SO TRUE great idea +1, seems like a simple software update would do this for those who are interested...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Now what do I do about the 100 illegal coal rollers in their Rams and Fords making 1000X the emissions of a dirty VW in my town?

Those problems need to be fixed too.

so in canada every single vehicle transaction involves a trip to the DEALER? holy smokes!

I can't speak for Alberta, but this decidedly does not happen in Saskatchewan.

Originally Posted By: tcp71

Doesn't California require emission recalls to be completed prior to registration?

My sis in law is embarrassed to drive her TDI wagon about polluting and angry about resale. She is very keen on environment....

Not for nothing how about they go after the diesel tuners next? Just about every "tune" for a truck defeats the emissions equipment. The only difference is Bully Dog is selling it instead of GM putting it on at the factory.

I'm really tired of being behind smokey diesel pickups cause the morons who modify them think smoke equals power.

Last edited:
And I thought Toyota's latest fix on the A/C evaporator water tray in my $20k+ freaking NEW CAMRY dashboard directly ABOVE the AIRBAG MODULE was a fiasco.

Heck, this makes sipping a cup of complimentary cappuccino which I already paid for in the price of the car,
..standing next to a dumb "Jan" commercial cardboard cutout,
..watching a 19 year old Toyota tech tearing apart my already creaky plastic dash,
..with greasy his fingers and a hangover headache whilst listening to Ozzy blasting on the shop radio,
..shouting to the guy in the bay next door about how "loose" his ex was,
..with actual factory instructions on the TSB which were NEVER printed or READ by the tech.....

....look about as bad as getting a flu shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back