Manual transmission oil for 1995 Nissan Maxima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

First post here. I am the original owner of a 1995 Nissan Maxima in excellent condition with only 65k miles. I figure it is time to change the MT oil as Nissan recommendations are at 60k as I recall. I believe it is a synchromesh transmission.

I am having a difficult time finding GL4 oil in 80-90 as specified by my factory service manual. I would prefer one of the major brand companies (I have no experience with Amsoil or Royal Purple for example). Pennzoil makes a synthetic 75-90 MT fluid but it is near impossible to find. Valvoline offers a "synchromesh" fluid. Finally Nissan offers a 75-85 MT fluid that they say will work but I'm concerned that it is only 85 and my understanding is that this reflects the upper temperature extremes (which is 86F compared to 104F according to the chart in my manual). Of all the choices, I think I would prefer the genuine Nissan oil, but is the 75-85 ok if the manual recommends 80-90? Other options?

Thanks

Most Nissan's require a dedicated GL-4 MTF of from 75W80 to 75W85 so here is a list of fluids that should work just fine:

This group of GL-4 MTL’s are in the 10.x cSt (SAE 75W80) range:

1. Redline MTL 75W80

2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)

3. GM Synchromesh’s

4. Volvo MTF 645

5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)

6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF

I. The next higher viscosity MTL would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:

1. Redline MT-85 – 12.0 cSt

Last edited:
Welcome. You've quoted many good oils there but I would recommend Redline MT90 (75-90) which is a known GL4 gear oil. I have used it in my '93 Nissan nearly its entire life and it has performed perfectly. Whatever you decide on make sure it is GL4 only.

Someone here at the office has the same model and year but with 200K miles described as being used with great gusto.

He said he uses and recommends Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4 gear oil.

I use Red Line gear oil in my old Honda with great results, too.

Thanks all:

I'm trying to wrap my head around viscosity and read the article on the site but am still a bit confused. My factory service manual recommends a 80W-90 and has a chart which shows outside temperature range on a thermometer vs. gear oil weight. It looks like 75W and 80W protect to below -20F, so I think either of these would be OK for Colorado. However, it shows an upper temperature of only 86F for 85W but 104F for 90 weight. Since it can easily get over 90F here in the summer, doesn't this mean I need an upper viscosity of 90 and therefore something like the Nissan 75W-85 would not be adequate?? Actually, I would think that even 104F would be sort of low since I would imagine manual transmission oil might exceed that temperature, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for any continued advice and here is a link to the 75W-85 manual transmission fluid I mentioned. I could not find and specifications for it however but trust OEM parts in general so would assume this is a quality fluid.

http://nissanraceshop.com/product/oem-ni...4dfQaAs3U8P8HAQ

Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
My factory service manual recommends a 80W-90 and has a chart which shows outside temperature range on a thermometer vs. gear oil weight. It looks like 75W and 80W protect to below -20F, so I think either of these would be OK for Colorado. However, it shows an upper temperature of only 86F for 85W but 104F for 90 weight. Since it can easily get over 90F here in the summer, doesn't this mean I need an upper viscosity of 90 and therefore something like the Nissan 75W-85 would not be adequate?? Actually, I would think that even 104F would be sort of low since I would imagine manual transmission oil might exceed that temperature, but I don't know for sure.

I would venture to guess Nissan 75W-85(in the absence of it's KV40 specs) would be inadequate as compared against 80W-90 in the manual.
SAE 90 should offer higher margin of wear protection, if your ambient fits in.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. If 85W is not adequate I wonder why the Nissan parts counter told me this is what Nissan is using now.

Also, for your reference, I found the chart in my factory service manual on-line. See page MA-8

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/1995/ma.pdf

Finally, I know some folks say there can be problems switching from petroleum based oils to synthetic oils in engines, is there any concern to switching to something like the Redline synthetic oil (since my factory fill manual transmission oil is undoubtedly petroleum based)?

Last edited:
Prior to Nissan's 75w85, most Nissans used a 90 grade. The newer MT fluid from Nissan, a 75w85 can be used.

Redline MT85 or MT90
Amsoil MTG

Any manual transmission GL4 75w90 or 75w85 from Ford, GM, Nissan, Mopar, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi....will work fine.

No issue going back and forth among conventional, synth, blends...

When the 75w85's came out, they provided better protection(less wear), easier shifting, better fuel economy, longer transmission life, longer fluid life,... when compared to the outgoing 90 grades.

Thanks Greasymechtech: Would you like to take a stab at my question regarding outside temperature and the second number in the gear oil spec (ie 85 vs 90). I'm still confused why something like 75W-85 would be suitable when outside temperature exceeds 86F (at least from what I understand from the thermometer graph on page MA8 of the pdf I referenced above).

Any quick layman explanation why the 75W-85's offer the advantages you mentioned and would a 75W-90 still be OK?

Molakule mentioned the Nissan fluid shears down. Redline has been mentioned by a few board members. Perhaps this is a good choice for me?

Typical values of KV@40C GL-4 of some oils are as follows :-
a)75W-85(MT85) synthetics is 64 - 77 cSt;
b)MT90 synthetic is 90 cSt;
c)75W-90 synthetic is 90 - 103 cSt;
d)80W-90 mineral is 130 - 140 cSt;

Quote:
If 85W is not adequate I wonder why the Nissan parts counter told me this is what Nissan is using now.

It's inadequate because its KV@40C of 60 ish to 70 ish offers far weaker wear protection than a mineral 80W-90 of 130 - 140 ish cSt.
Basing on it's manual, without 80W-90 stock, they should've offered you 75W-90 as next best . Why they don't ? ........... IMO ,it's a business recommendation, not a technical one.

I would prefer (d) to (c) or (b). The transmission would not like (a)

JMO.

Current fluid tech is better than what was available when that graph was printed. The base oil, viscosity index improving modifiers, and additives packages have improved, and tailored to manuals.

Hi all: Do others agree with Zeng that the 85 option is not adequate for me?

Here are some options I found:

Castrol GL4 80W-90 (I think this is petroleum based and not much of a write-up on their site):
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C00C8E4961EDF3C180257ADD007520EA/$File/BPXE-939TEY.pdf
The castrol product doesn't say anything about yellow metal synchronizer compatibility but I think if it is GL4, it should be OK.

Redline MT90 or MT85

Last edited:
I used Redline MT90 in my 03 Nissan Frontier and it was great. I would use that in any Nissan with confidence that specs a similar gl4 oil. You could probably use the 85 without any issues, but on the Nissan forums, everyone was recommending the MT90 and I would use it again.

Thanks Ryan: BTW I see you have a Toyota 2013 S. We just bought a 2015 S+ after putting 250k on our 96 Corolla Wagon (bought new and serviced regularly) before the AT went out. No major problems before the AT failure. Great cars.

Use a 75W90. I think you'll find that anything thinner will feel really notchy in your transmission once it gets good and hot. Nissan 75W85 MTF is specd for the newer 6 speeds in the 350Z,370Z,etc.

Go with Redline MT90.

Nissan started using the 75w85 15+ years ago and TSB'd it to all serviced manual transmissions(excluding 75w80 used in some cube/sentra/versa and that special GT-R fluid).

Thanks Greasymechtech: If this were your car, would you opt for the Nissan 75W-85, the Castrol 80W-90 I found, or the Redline MT90 (75W-90) that others seem to like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back