Acetone Added to Gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please....... No bashers, go find another threat. I just want facts.

- Who is adding Acetone to their Gas?

- Clevy, I remember a couple years ago you were adding it. Still do?

- How much are you adding to, say, per 10 gallons?

- What results did you achieve as compared to before you added it?

Thanks!

There's many, many threads on it.

Personally, I've tried it multiple times, doses, homeopathic doses, nothing has ever made a material difference.

I've not been able to get anything even remotely similar to what is portrayed as being possible with acetone.

Have used it to extract the polymer VII from STP, and added that to the diesel to try the other end...again no joy.

Back in the late 80s, my Torana (186, triple S.U. Carbs, loads of compression, and would run for 10-15 seconds on it's own on premium leaded), I used to run
* 20L Premium ULP
* 20L leaded Super
* 4-5L methylated spirits
* 250ml acetone (or MEK, it's Methyl Ethyl Ketone versus Acetone as Diethyl Ketone)

The unleaded premium/leaded mix gave an extra RON or so, the methylated spirits obviously gave another few RONs, the acetone (or MEK) helped to co-solve the slightly wet metho.

(I ended up later with a litre of diesel in it as well, as the F1 guys at the time allegedly were playing there as well).

Melted a number of inline plastic fuel filters.

I tried it on numerous occasions in my 5.2L 1999 Dodge Dakota.
Always before driving to our camp 72 miles away, so same trip conditions each time. Sometimes I got about 2mpg better sometimes not so I stopped.
Forgot the recommended amount, but it wasn't much.

i have tried for a year in my hyundai elantra. 2 ounce per fill.
stopped when in the summer, the plastic bottle started to take strange shapes because of really hot in the trunk.

didn't see much difference in mpg. gas used was mobil1, shell, bp and sometimes a local citgo.
traffic type: 75% heavy-city and 25% suburbs, not many real highways

Turk,

I was sharing data with Clevy for close to a year. I was adding it to both of my vehicles, at the rate of 1 oz per 5 gallons.

I quit doing it about 6 months ago. I honestly didn't see any measurable differences.

On a completely different note, I had a fuel pump fail on my 2001 Tahoe, with about 80k on it. I guess my uniformed question would be this - can Acetone have an adverse affect on the plastic parts of a modern fuel pump?

There is no way to determine this I guess, but I've also not heard of many GM pumps failing at 80k.

Just something to ponder....

Originally Posted By: Shannow
There's many, many threads on it.

Personally, I've tried it multiple times, doses, homeopathic doses, nothing has ever made a material difference.

I've not been able to get anything even remotely similar to what is portrayed as being possible with acetone.

Have used it to extract the polymer VII from STP, and added that to the diesel to try the other end...again no joy.

Back in the late 80s, my Torana (186, triple S.U. Carbs, loads of compression, and would run for 10-15 seconds on it's own on premium leaded), I used to run
* 20L Premium ULP
* 20L leaded Super
* 4-5L methylated spirits
* 250ml acetone (or MEK, it's Methyl Ethyl Ketone versus Acetone as Diethyl Ketone)

The unleaded premium/leaded mix gave an extra RON or so, the methylated spirits obviously gave another few RONs, the acetone (or MEK) helped to co-solve the slightly wet metho.

(I ended up later with a litre of diesel in it as well, as the F1 guys at the time allegedly were playing there as well).

Melted a number of inline plastic fuel filters.

One of the carb'd emissions vehicles that would diesel on it's own? Who knew that we were closer to HCCI 30 years ago than we are today!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
One of the carb'd emissions vehicles that would diesel on it's own? Who knew that we were closer to HCCI 30 years ago than we are today!

Not quite, it was a 1973, and pre emissions, so I had carte blanch...triple 1-3/4 S.U.s, 23/60 Cam, and way too much compression.

The ones I built always had high compression, and mild cams...this one was renowned for running with the ignition key out if pulled over while "hot".

Hey, you are right, back to the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back