Lubegard question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I took my 1991 Chevrolet K1500 to a reputable tranny shop to get the tranny flushed. The tranny shifts fine, but the fluid was slightly brown. When I went to pick up the vehicle, they only did a fluid exchange and filter replacement (about half the cost). They stated that they did not want to cause issues with the tranny since the fluid was brown.

Will I receive any added benefits by adding Lubegard Red? I know its a good product. Its not too expensive and if it will help prevent issues down the road, it may be worth the investment.

LG's a great product but like with any additive, only use it if there's a specific issue you're trying to address.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
LG's a great product but like with any additive, only use it if there's a specific issue you're trying to address.

thumbsup2.gif

I would make sure they replaced the fluid with a good DexIIIG or DexVI equivalent replacement.

What fluid did they use and what did they write on the ticket?

Best thing is to have a drain installed in the pan on these old trannies and just drain and refill the pan every 15 to 20k miles with a good fluid. You will eventually get the old fluid out that way.

My 1986 200R4 was done like this. I use Valvoline Maxlife. Tranny shifts great.

According to my GM shop manual, brownish transmission fluid is normal, and the manual I have is from 1992. My fluid was brownish in color like that too in a GM turbo-hydramatic T340(125C). I changed filter and fluid, and I did put in eight ounces of LubeGard Red. Transmission shifts great, and I feel confident that my transmission is running cooler now with less wear, and that the fluid will last longer with the addition of LubeGard Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back