LubeGard Transmission Additives - Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this question late in another thread, and it got overlooked, so I'm starting fresh. My sister is most likely buying a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis with 105k from another family member. It has a 4R70W transmission that has confirmed torque converter shudder. I know I need to do a fluid exchange (not a flush) and install a new filter. But people and trans shops are giving mixed advice. All agree on Lubegard additives. But it is split 50/50 on which one. Some say the standard LubeGard red, others say the LubeGard/Dr. Tranny Shudder Fixx. I am under the impression that both are good, but I need input. What are the real differences? Is one better than another? One preferred over the other in this case? Both? Can these two additives even be mixed? Help! Thanks in advance!

On a side note, it's kind of sad funny that I 'must' consult BITOG before reaching conclusions regarding fluids.
crackmeup2.gif

I'd add both.

9-12 ounches of Red, and that tiny little tube of shutter fix.

I'm a long time user of LubeGard products in my tranny.

"For long term benefit, use LUBEGARD ATF Protectant P/N 60902" Dr. Tranny Ihstant Shudder Fixx

Go with the 10 ounce bottle of LubeGard Red which is P/N 60902. There are charts on the LubeGard website that tells how much transmission fluid most cars have.

Last edited:
I used the shudder fix in my Regal. Been about 3k miles and it still hasn't come back. However the shudder was never major.

The instant shudder fix worked for me (for now) so I would recommend the product however I can't speak for lubegard red since I've never used it.

Lubeguard RED does work. I have tried it as well as many others on CVN. That said, I would highly recommend performing a flush and fill with MERCON V as well. Should only take about 12qts.

Here is the LubeGard conversion chart. According to that chart, you will need 14 ounces of LubeGard Red at one ounce per quart, so you will need to buy two 10 ounce bottles. There is a 32 ounce bottle available for about $20, and that would be the better buy since you could get two treatments one now, and then one later on with another fluid change.

Last edited:
Mercon V was also made to fix the shudder.. Our 99 E-150 van with that engine/trans had the shudder. A change with Mercon V and a bottle of Lubguard Red solved all its issues.

If you are not planning to exchange the fluid for a while and want instant relief from this shudder issue use the shudder fix, it will not overfill the transmission.
DO NOT use more than 1 tube, this is concentrated 5x what is in the same amount of LG red.
When you do the full fluid exchange use LG red.

As I said in my OP, I will be changing fluid and filter. That said, I added all the 'votes' and I think these are the results: 9 for Red, 1 for Fixx, 1 for both.

....Red it is! I'll still watch this thread for anyone that chimes in with technical info. I have my answer as far as which to use, but I'm still curious on specs, ingredients, etc.

Trav counts for 10 votes though.

I have always used red and been very happy with it, however if you have shudder already and they make a specific product for that I would try that first.

On a slightly tangential note: what's the difference between red and platinum?

Lubegard Red is mainly for applications where a neglected transmission has suspected varnishing and may need some extra cleaning.

LubeGard Platinum has additional levels friction modifiers and is considered a "conversion" fluid, as has been discussed in many threads.

I would stay away from ANY conversion fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back