Mag1 Premium PSF use instead of Mercon V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mag1 Premium Power Steering Fluid a suitable substitute for Mercon V in my 2009 Ford Everest PSU? The Mag1 label says it meets Ford M2C195-A OEM specs. The manual says to use Mercon V but the Mag1 is cheaper. I think the Mercon V spec is only for simplicity as it is the same fluid for the auto transmission.

My bad, I've just looked at the owner's manual and the spec'ed PSF is ATF-III or Dexron II, NOT Mercon V. But my question still stands. I would believe real PSF is better than an older ATF standard for the PSU.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
My bad, I've just looked at the owner's manual and the spec'ed PSF is ATF-III or Dexron II, NOT Mercon V. But my question still stands. I would believe real PSF is better than an older ATF standard for the PSU.

What year/make/model vehicle?

Use whatever the manufacturer wants you to use in the PS pump.

It's a 2009 Ford Everest. Uses a Duratorq engine. I was wondering if a real PSF is better suited than an ATF. After all, it is a power steering pump, not a transmission.

Lots of people stick with the dex/merc spec fluid for their vehicles with no issues. Myself, I've run PSF in dex/merc PS systems as well as dex/merc with no real issues. Currently 135k miles on my Mustang and it just received its first PSF change... I stayed with dex/merc, specifically mobil 1. No issues or noises at this point.

I couldn't be certain, but I suspect power steering is a rather non-stressful fuild application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back