Here's one that will make you pucker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
lrGmPGV.png

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Please say farewells to your car

Car? Do you know what a 6V92 is?

Charlie

fuel in the oil on a 6V92 means the oil isnt leaking out fast enough or the oil is not being checked and filled at every stop.

10 percent fuel and the oil has thickened? I would take that with a grain of salt. I had 10 percent fuel in my oil one time and blackstone didn't catch it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
10 percent fuel and the oil has thickened? I would take that with a grain of salt. I had 10 percent fuel in my oil one time and blackstone didn't catch it.

Agreed. Their fuel methodology leaves much to be desired. Im confident it usually under-estimates fuel by sometimes several percent, but in this case, I think the oil is so beat up it really isn't even remotely valid.
That's why I had switched to Polaris.

What about the flash point? Doesn't dilution decrease the flash point?

Its 650 miles, not hours.

Engine oil pressure took some drastic drops and the DDEC shut it down.

There is some coolant loss. MPG...not sure, but they are always poor. Dont know much about the engine. It was a pull that was dropped in 5 yrs ago.

No, not my rig.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Agreed. Their fuel methodology leaves much to be desired. Im confident it usually under-estimates fuel by sometimes several percent, but in this case, I think the oil is so beat up it really isn't even remotely valid.
That's why I had switched to Polaris.

Actually this isn't hard to do on a Detroit...just add anti-freeze. Eventually the oil will take on an attractive gray color and be the consistency of Miracle Whip.

Pull the oil pan and pressurize the radiator. Slide under and see which side is leaking. It could be as simple as an injector cup or as expensive as a cracked block. Other choices: head gasket(s), oil cooler, liner O-rings, bad water pump, cracked head, evil spirits, and probably something else that I happily forgot. 6V92s weren't exactly Detroit Diesels finest hour.

I'm sure the bearings are shot as well. They're trying to find a REAL Detroit mechanic this week. Those guys are getting few and far between.

Originally Posted By: opus
They're trying to find a REAL Detroit mechanic this week.

Oooh...look at the time....gotta go.

Originally Posted By: AITG

You only have to worry if you are in South Georgia. They WILL hunt you down!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: opus
Originally Posted By: AITG

You only have to worry if you are in South Georgia. They WILL hunt you down!
smile.gif

Nope, 1200 miles away. I did my fill of Detroits. The 92 series was better than 6V53s but that's about it. It was the Class 8 equivalent of a 6 liter Power Stroke.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Trying to talk them into getting a reman but they arent wanting to part with the cash. Either way, its going to be a lot of money for that engine.

Sadly, they'll probably find another pull and go that route....

Theres still a lot of the 92's running the road. All in old coaches though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back