UOA WIX, High Sodium and Potassium, Head Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Nissan Maxima with 185,000 miles, 5500 miles on oil, Na 199, K 9, TBN 1.5
One and only UOA has high sodium and potassium(?) so I am concerned if there could be a head gasket problem. Car runs well with oil color good (not milky), no exhaust smoke, runs at ideal engine temperature...

About 1-2 cups of engine coolant needs to be added every month or two.

Oil that was used

Having trouble placing image of UOA and do not see how to attach file.

1434153530.JPG

http://images.imagelinky.com/1434153530.JPG

I plan watch coolant level, engine temperature, oil color, change oil at 4000 miles and get UOA at that time.

Currently I do not plan to have coolant system pressure or emissions from cooling system checked.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
First of all, could you post the UOA it self, so that the members here can analyse that as a whole.

Second of all, I believe something has to be going on, if you're adding coolant every month. levels should not drop a noticeable amount like that.

I'll let the more experienced members chime in, but I think you have a good plan of action moving forward. Monitor coolant and re-UOA, then go from there.

Upload your image to tinypic or imgur and use the code that's provided for message boards.

Sodium is high, but without a VOA, I don't know if it's an addative in the oil, like what Valvoline uses. Either search for/order a VOA or contact the oil manufacturer to see if a sodium compound is used. The need to add coolant suggests that it's either leaking into the motor or on the pavement.

Lead is also high. I could see coolant in the oil causing bearing wear.

TBN is low, especially for this short run. I have never seen this oil before, but something is amiss here.

Use cheap oil that we know doesn't contain sodium compounds and retest at 3,000. PYB is a good choice.

Sodium is most likely from oil without high potassium. The potassium is single digits, hardly enough for to say it's a leak.

Lead is from bearings but could be from normal high mileage wear.

Change more frequently and use a well known oil. 3k changes should be OK.

Makes sense. I will try to get data on oil that was used (but since then oil was changed by a NAPA related shop, after sample was taken, that uses "oil similar to Pennzoil"?, change oil at 3k, and use an oil with known oil properties. Very helpful posts!

Last edited:
Nissan Maxima V-6's are often very hard on oil, and in 5500 miles, it beat the snot out of this oil.

Without K, I don't think it is coolant, I just think the oil gave up the ghost. high lead is from bearing wear, from the oil shearing into a 20-weight.

when Maxima V-6's start 'behaving' like this, often it is helpful to step-up to a slightly thicker oil to see if it helps...a 10W-30 HM oil or even a 10W-40 are often recommended, and I've seen them help.

Above given advice has been good. Coolant loss is now very low/normal (have not added any for many months) but I will watch fluids on a regular basis. Thanks!

Maxima is hard on oil (as stated above) and that is why Nissan recommends much more frequent oil changes than other manufactures. I will be changing oil on it at less than 3k even though use is not short trips.

The two different Universal brand oils used on a number of different cars that we own and serviced from two different shops tested with higher K and Na (UOA). Our Acura oil life with these oils is fine (based on UOA) when changed at recommended OEM intervals.

UOA shows that changing very basic oil at OEM recommended intervals is the right recommendation even for long engine life: 118k, 185k and 216k (purchased new) miles on our cars and all running well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back