Top Tier Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/12/which-gas-stations-sell-the-best-quality-gasoline.html

To earn Top Tier certification a fuel must pass four tests – deposit control on intake valves, fuel injectors and combustion chambers. Beyond that it must also prevent intake-valve sticking.

Top Tier gasoline must contain more deposit-fighting detergents, it also must be sold at all of a fuel marketer’s stations and across all grades of its gasoline, from 87-octane regular to top-of-the-line premium. Additionally, to earn the seal of approval fuels cannot contain metallic additives, which are potentially harmful to automotive emissions-control systems.

+1 thanks, Wemay. Top Tier is definitely not a marketing gimmick and it will keep engines running more efficiently than non Top Tier gas. In my state, Top Tier fuel (Quik Trip, Phillips 66, Sinclair) is the same price as the regular stuff with the exception of Shell, which always charges more.

Exactly. Top Tier is a REAL certification that retailers must pass and now prove on a regular basis that they are adding that extra detergent and actually having the product prove it in periodic testing. If TT costs about the same as non TT and you have access to both why would you NOT buy the better performing and proven product?

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Around me is Valero and BP mostly. I try to go with Valero when I can.

Top Tier Gas around me: Shell, Valero, BP, Exxon, and Mobil. I have gotten it from all of them, but one of the Valero stations has gas that costs the least.

Hyundai OEM Oil Filter #26300-35503
Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Motorcraft Oil Filter #FL-910S
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back