2 cars, same route, 2 different odometer readings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use our local Shell station to fill up my car as it is a Top Tier station that I trust, plus it is close to home. My previous car, a 2006 Honda Accord always read 1.4 miles from the Shell station to home. Jump ahead 2 and a half months and here I am in my 2012 Honda Accord, but it always reads 1.3 miles from the Shell station to home. The route is the exact same, I don't get it. Both cars had stock tire and wheel sizes. The 2006 had 15's and the 2012 has 17's, but the cars are programmed with those sizes, its not like I swapped to a larger tire size. So what could be going on?

Drive at least 10 miles to see if there is a real difference between the two cars. With rounding,I wouldn't assume 1.3 and 1.4 are different. Maybe the new Accord is on the cusp of flipping to 1.4 a few feet more.

I've had two Honda Goldwings (a 2002 and a 2008), and both have speedometers and odometers that were designed in some sort of fantasy land.

Both are only a rough estimate of speed and distance.

Honda had a law suit over their odometers legally they ca be off by 4% and they were purposely setting to read higher to get them out of warranty faster

The muscle cars of earlier years (and maybe the entire line) were often read up to 10% low. Most think their intention was to show their cars going 120 mph when if fact they were only going approx 110. Marketing speed/performance over warranty miles was what worked in the 1960's. I could see the warranty and miles today as all cars go "fast." I had several original Mopars with original tire sizes and they usually read 3-10% low.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Drive at least 10 miles to see if there is a real difference between the two cars. With rounding,I wouldn't assume 1.3 and 1.4 are different. Maybe the new Accord is on the cusp of flipping to 1.4 a few feet more.

I no longer have the 2006, I traded it for the 2012.

went to a company out of town meeting with 10 people.
afterwards
3 taxis took us 16 miles to a friends house.
Fares on all 3 were a few dollars different even tho start and end were the same

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I always use our local Shell station to fill up my car as it is a Top Tier station that I trust, plus it is close to home. My previous car, a 2006 Honda Accord always read 1.4 miles from the Shell station to home. Jump ahead 2 and a half months and here I am in my 2012 Honda Accord, but it always reads 1.3 miles from the Shell station to home. The route is the exact same, I don't get it. Both cars had stock tire and wheel sizes. The 2006 had 15's and the 2012 has 17's, but the cars are programmed with those sizes, its not like I swapped to a larger tire size. So what could be going on?

There are a lot of reasons for your slight speedometer/odometer error (most are off slightly and manufacturers usually calibrate to the high end of the average error). Tire wear can also account for different odometer readings-a tire that starts out at 10/32nds and is worn to 4/32nds can make a 1 or 2 mph difference on your speedometer and a similar difference on your odometer. Even turning corners at different angles can cause a difference between the two vehicles.

Tires of the same size designation often have different outside diameters...and as mentioned, tire wear impacts that as well...and outside diameter differences affect the odometer reading.

older cars often took the speedo reading from one wheel instead of the driveline.

VW bugs making right turns went farther than those going left!

Uh, no suggestion to verify with GPS? Or google maps? Use your phone, download some tracking app and there you go. You can also verify your speedometer too.

depending on the gps, i've seen those vary too!

or even different numbers on the same gps at different times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back