Analog Dash Gauges Disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't it seem like analog dash gauges are slowly disappearing from new cars?

I was looking at the new Civic and it has a single LCD display for the dash instead of any analog gauges that I could see. I've seen similar setups on some Kias and BMWs.

How do you feel about it? I don't think I would like the change. I already stare at an LCD all day at work, and I don't know if I would enjoy staring at one when driving a car. Furthermore the screen will distort based on viewing angle and glare. I feel it also might be a cost-cutting move as LCDs get cheaper and cheaper.

I think it is a faster path to the junkyard as majority of owners likely won't fix such things on an older car. Nearly ALL older vehicles with these type of displays have some sort fail eventually but the speedo and gas guage function so many owners ignore and drive on.

Unfortunately the auto makes build cars for the average drive, not BITOG members. BITOG members will need to pull the info from the OBD II connector.

Well, I don't drive staring at the gauges, so from that perspective I don't really care if it's an LCD screen or a needle, as long as it is easy to read at a glance.

From reliability and durability perspective I would not condemn the LCD yet, as we don not have the data. But, I know that the current, servo driven gauges are much more reliable and durable than the old, cable driven ones. LCD gauges may be even better and with the added bonus of customization.

How many here complain that they do not have a boost gauge, oil pressure gauge or even coolant temp gauge? With LCDs and smart manufacturers willing to cater to the minority, one can have a customized gauge cluster with the info they're interested in.

My last few cars have had digital readout for speed and I love it, I feel I can glance at it a lot quicker than an analog setup.

I also think the digital gauges will actually be more reliable, remember the analog setup on cars for the last couple decades were actually printed circuit boards with stepper motors, more to fail there.

Plus I get a lot more info with the digital setup. Tire pressure, oil and trans temp, etc...

I've never owned a vehicle with digital gauges.

As far as digital vs. analog gauges, today's "analog" gauges rely on digital input from sensors around the car, so only the needle gives that analog feel. Digital gauges as long as they mimic analog gauges I am fine with.

For long term reliability I am still very skeptical of these
LCD displays. I like them, but if they fail after 6 or 7 years you LOOSE ALL ability to see any information most likely unlike old analog gauges. Of course if you lease or trade every few years it won't likely ever be a problem for you, but if you hold on to a vehicle for a long time I see problems.

I can understand the sentiment... but I believe it is a little premature to worry about most of these displays. Most of the newer ( last 10 years ) old vehicles that have radio nav displays that I see in the field have NOT had a rash of failure issues regarding displays. The newer ( fake analog ) gauges of today are very similar. Unlike in the eighties to 90's displays that were vacuum fluorescent that did seem to eventually fail - these newer ones today ( like the nav radio displays ) seem to last as long as the rest of the car in use.
No different than those that long for the good ol' days and points ignition, carbs, etc... I believe these won't become a thorn in our collective automotive side.

BurrWinder

I had a buick century that lost a 150 ohm resistor and this needed resoldering for the odometer to work. I had to do this to register the car, as they needed a mileage report!

I do like the multifunction displays, though, with outside temp, recent fuel economy, etc. Stick those under some analog sweeps for fuel, speed, temp, and RPM.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Digital gauges as long as they mimic analog gauges I am fine with.

They do that, but your eyes can tell the difference.

An LCD screen mimicking gauges just does not look as good as the real thing.

OLED displays should start showing up more and more. They don't need backlight and so can easily have curvatures. They are bright and clearer and analog gauges can be programmed to appear in endless configuations.

I like analog gauges with LCD supplement. The new BMW gauge clusters look pretty good except for the temp and fuel gauge, they look cheesy.

I would prefer to stick with analog, but I think they are going away.

LCD displays typically have some point where they are not visible - like twilight.

i-B92mg8B-M.jpg

I like analog gauges. But, there are times I will select the digital speedometer on my multi-function display to quickly glance how far above the speed limit I'm at.

Digital gauges were the rage in cars in the late 80's and early 90's(Especialy in GM cars). And when they had a ton of problems, they went away from them again.

Give me analog gauges any day. The ONLY problem I ever had in my 93 Riviera was the gauge cluster. It would just all of a sudden read error every now and again. I would have to pull over, and shut off the car to get them to reset.

Last edited:
I had a 1995 chevy caprice with the large digital gauge for speed(and no analog), I liked it a lot. It lasted about ten years without a problem before I sold the car.

Digital displays are ok, as long as the info is presented as a bar graph rather than just numbers.

A bar graph or analog gauge has the benefit of being able to glance at it and go "yep, that looks about right." A number requires you to analyze it, rather than just knowing it's not significantly different from the last time you looked. Nothing like looking at your oil pressure and having to think "Hmm... 43... Yeah, I guess that's normal."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back