Consequences for not paying a medical bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, if you happened to read the articles, all the doctors do this and only within the last 2 years things have shifted with ACA changes.

Maybe your doctors have been running too many unnecessary tests for some time, but now the insurance companies are finally putting an end to the blank check.

Yes you should yell at your doctor, but don't think for a second you're the unique case, because its actually the majority of doctor who are changing-for the better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 04SE
This thread is legendary!

It isn't MY fault, I am not responsible, nobody told me...

Working harder at avoiding the debt and trying to figure out how to scam the system instead of gee, I don't know? Paying it? LOL!

Funny.

If it goes to collections it's on your credit report. Whether it's a dollar or 10000 dollars.

I got stung with a cell phone I co-signed for. My girl always paid round numbers,so if it was 83.53 she'd pay 80.
Anyways when we broke up I called the phone company to get my name off the account. It had been 4 years and she was always current so they said sure.
Fast forward a year I start getting mail from a collection agency that she had an outstanding bill of 7 bucks or something absurd. I was working in bc and didn't come home for 6 months. Had I seen it I would have just paid it and been done with it.
When I bought my charger that charge was present and even though I did pay it eventually it brought down my credit score.
It doesn't say how much you owe on your credit report,only that you owe,or a bill you were responsible for went to collections.
It will bite you in the rear if you want a bank loan. Less so at loan companies.
You are smart to make payment arrangements before it gets handed off. Once the collections agency gets it its on your record.

I always ask a doctor before any tests," is this covered by my insurance. Although it is ultimately my responsibility to know and get it approved prior to taking place, I have yet to have a doctor that doesn't call immediately to verify. And any doctor that is worth a [censored] that is running a test can easily get an insurance company to approve it in advance. It's simply a matter of one of his staff writing up the appropriate report.

What most people dont realize is that when a collection agency butts heads with someone in the know they can lose thousands when they don't stick to the rules.

In some cases when you don't pay it slips through the cracks and if and when they try to collect the statue of limitations kick in and they cant do nothing.

Originally Posted By: Benito

Some of you are making points with nothing to do with the question I asked, throwing in assumptions and then questioning my ethics. You should know that that says far more about you than my decision to challenge somebody else's mistake that I refuse to pay for.

You added a lot of info about the situation, on top of your question, which makes people want to do more than just comment on how to/what happens if you skip out on the bill.

I would say you are just as liable as the doctors over this "mistake" as you call it. I do not find it reasonable to expect a doctor to know the billing practices of every insurance company, on every policy issued, for every medical procedure and test there is which is what it sounds like you expect. You talk about national standards but that only goes so far. You ether trust your doctor or you don't. IF they want the test run you run it or why bother go to them to begin with?

If you are that concerned over medical charges then I would say it is incumbent on you to request an estimate before any doctors visit/test/procedure so you know. Usually your policy will list what is and isn't covered as well so you most likely could have looked it up or even called yourself to ask. You assumed, as the doctor most likely did, that your test would be covered. Turns out it was not and that by your own words it was not expensive. Pay the darn bill, be a man about it, and move on.

How you can say our comments say more about us than you is amazing to me. You asked basically how to avoid paying a bill you owe and/or what are the consequences if you don't pay it( which means you don't intend to ). That says a lot sir about you not us and we are assuming nothing. Our comments are based on your own words in relation to your intent.

I apologize if I am offending you. I have never had issue with you and overall find you to be a good guy here at BITOG. I just don't agree with you on this. IMO it is your obligation to pay this bill and seeing as you posted about this online and stated your intend to default I feel I am justified in saying I don't approve of that course of action.

Learn from what happened so in the future you won't feel cheated, ripped off, or whatever it is you are feeling( I really am unsure and do not understand your issue here ). Get an itemized estimate of all costs before any test or procedures are done and approve/disapprove as you see fit. On this bill though, for the test already done with your approval, pay your bill and honor your debt sir.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I apologize if I am offending you. I have never had issue with you and overall find you to be a good guy here at BITOG. I just don't agree with you on this. IMO it is your obligation to pay this bill and seeing as you posted about this online and stated your intend to default I feel I am justified in saying I don't approve of that course of action.

When you pay a bill that you feel goes against some contract you may or may not have, you lose all future leverage to get that money back. Fiscal prudence says to hold on until one is absolutely sure, and OP asking about it will help his decision.

I'd like a future Obamacare, maybe Berniecare? to have a universal contract, so consumers and doctors both understand. Have your choice between insurers, but have everyone on the same page over what's covered. Because right now, we have consumers paying tons of money in, and still losing out, and feeling bad that it's "their fault" one-time-only, which is how the Powers That Be rigged it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

When you pay a bill that you feel goes against some contract you may or may not have, you lose all future leverage to get that money back. Fiscal prudence says to hold on until one is absolutely sure, and OP asking about it will help his decision.

I'd like a future Obamacare, maybe Berniecare? to have a universal contract, so consumers and doctors both understand. Have your choice between insurers, but have everyone on the same page over what's covered. Because right now, we have consumers paying tons of money in, and still losing out, and feeling bad that it's "their fault" one-time-only, which is how the Powers That Be rigged it.

I can just about 99.9999% guarantee the OP signed papers before the test saying he would cover any costs not covered by his medical insurance. That is SOP at any medical establishment. What about that contract? What about just doing the right thing? It isn't the doctors fault the insurance company denied the test. If the OP has issue with anyone it is them. Most insurance companies provide a list of things covered and things not covered with your policy as well so did the OP read his policy or did he just assume the test was covered( like the doctor? ).

I just do not understand this whole thread? By the OP's own admission it is a small amount and apparently it would not in any way hurt him financially to pay it. He authorized the test and the doctor/hospital/whatever did it in good faith with the expectation it would be paid for. The OP feels he was ripped off because insurance didn't cover it. He seems to think it was the doctors responsibility to tell him his insurance wouldn't cover it beforehand or something( which it is not )? I am lost as to what he expected.

Bottom line is he owes that bill and should be stand up and pay it. He can then fight with the insurance for a refund and/or change companies. He can change doctors too. Not paying that bill is wrong however I am sorry.

This thread is amazing... As others have stated, I am sure that at some point, you signed that you would pay for any costs not covered by your insurance. It is not the doctor's duty to know and inform you if your insurance will cover everything or not. That is your responsibility. Just pay the bill you owe, it's the only right thing to do.

I find it amazing that anyone would think that if they ignore a bill that it would just go away...

Originally Posted By: 04SE
This thread is legendary!

It isn't MY fault, I am not responsible, nobody told me...

Working harder at avoiding the debt and trying to figure out how to scam the system instead of gee, I don't know? Paying it? LOL!

Exactly, if it is a small amount, pay your [censored] bill! This is why everyone else with insurance pays stupid premiums and now have high deductables, and high copays. Basically paying for the people who walk away from their bills.

Also read your insurance coverage about co-insurance, copays, deductables, in-house and what is covered and what isnt.

I had to have my appendix removed and I have about 2K$ in out of pocket costs which I have paid since that is my responibility. Of course looking at the itemized bill you can tell the Hopsital jacks it to cover all the deadbeats who refuse to pay anything, but can afford to go buy their smokes and booze and what not.

Before a doctor or a dentist does anything to me, I ask if the procedure is covered by my insurance...if it isn't, I don't let them do it unless 1) it's life threatening and it must be done, or 2) they can get it approved through insurance...

Last edited:
I'm not familiar at all with what happens when you don't pay a bill, so could do with some information on the consequences and process I can expect to go through.

Last year, one of my kids had their annual medical. We began to get a bill for a small amount that the insurance didn't pay out. The reason was that according to national guidelines, the test in question only needs to be carried out every few years and the doctor performed it too frequently.

We were not told that this item was not covered when the test was carried out. The doctor and facility were the same we had always used so should have known and told us.

Several weeks ago, the facility sent a letter telling us that they would pass this small amount to a collection agency (after I ignored their bills thinking they would write it off). We called the facility and explained that we never authorized any work outside of the allowance. They said they would get back to us.

That was several weeks ago. Today, I got another bill.

If I refuse to pay, what exactly happens when this goes to a collection agency. What adverse things can go on my record? Or can I contest it with the collection agency before any adverse record is made?

Is there any wording or message I can send to the facility to get them to write this off?

1. You should always check with your insurance company prior to getting a service to see if it's covered. The trend nowadays is to shift more of the financial burden onto the patients. This reduces utilization of health care and keeps the costs down.

2. I understand your predicament. Ask the facility what their collection policies are. If they are not for profit, they will have a financial assistance policy. Also, if they are not for profit, their collection policy may not have teeth -- they may not report you on your credit history, and they may not put a lien on your property or earnings. It is best to inquire the implications, call and talk to a manager.

If it's for profit then they will most probably report on your credit history.

Again, before every medical procedure, check with your insurance company for coverage. Having insurance doesn't mean that they will cover it. It is your responsibility, not the doctor's.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Pay half, write in check memo line and in note cashing this check constitutes full and final payment for services rendered.

LOL

BTW, see if they will give a discount. With each day the Accounts Receivable ages, the value drops. They may work out a deal with you.

Wow, once I saw that most of the people here were not answering my actual question I pretty much decided not to respond.

I was purely interested in learning about the collection process and consequences. I was not interested in the discussion about the rights and wrongs of the bill. The facility obviously think they are right to bill me, I think they are wrong to bill me.

Since so much has been said about the case, much of it incorrectly, I will expand on the details.

Firstly, we do as a matter of course, verify what is covered and not covered for everything we do under insurance. We do this for everything. Vision, dental and are most wary about medical.

I've also done this for home insurance, car insurance and my umbrella policy.

So here are the details.

- Under our insurance, a preventative visit is covered up to $500.

- We took our child to see the same doctor as the year before for a preventative visit.

- The prior year, a test was performed DURING the visit by the doctor as part of the visit.

- All costs to do with the preventative visit were paid by the insurance

- The next year, without asking or informing, the doctor performed the EXACT same test DURING the visit.

- Insurance declined this charge saying it is medically unnecessary to perform the test yearly and that national guidelines specify the exact ages and frequency with which to perform the test.

My contention is simply that the doctor is the professional and should know what the medical guidelines are for testing frequency and age. They know them for vaccinations, prostate, women's preventative. The guidelines are common knowledge amongst the medical profession.

Additionally, the doctor did not announce they are doing that particular test. Indeed it appears to any observer that it is another "check" rather than a test. They just did it along with all other checks they do. So for example, if they place a stethoscope on your chest, is that a separate chargeable "test" or is it part of a series of checks in the preventative visit?

So the rights and wrongs of this are a grey area. They constitute a dispute between two parties.

Therefore, I was interested in what avenues such a dispute takes. I am not interesting in revealing medical history.

Therefore all the responses here that assume that this is some sort of test that we authorized and are now trying to skip out of paying are way off mark.

But I guess you will never stop people reading what they want into the question, which is why it is always a better idea for many to just answer the question asked rather than one that was not!

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Pay half, write in check memo line and in note cashing this check constitutes full and final payment for services rendered.

We were not told that this item was not covered when the test was carried out. The doctor and facility were the same we had always used so should have known and told us.

Did you consider getting the procedures approved ahead of time?

That's what I do with any surgery or routine procedures.

But as for this procedure....you are on the hook for it. It is not the Doctor's responsibility to manage your health insurance.

Last edited:
- Insurance declined this charge saying it is medically unnecessary to perform the test yearly and that national guidelines specify the exact ages and frequency with which to perform the test.

Ask the doctor to tell them it was necessary.

Quote:
- The next year, without asking or informing, the doctor performed the EXACT same test DURING the visit.

Dispute the bill with the provider. Bolded is the most important part in this argument.

By the way, the preventative care is still shrouded in mystery. There is no standard method of billing for that in the industry. Either the provider will have to re-bill it or write it off. It is up to the provider to know whether it is medically necessary or not. You are the patient and you had done your due diligence.

Talk to a financial services manager at the provider. The front line people may not have the authority to make any decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back