2-3 Shift Flare after ATF drain & fill '13 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zach1900
What break in materials, is this 1940?

No but Toyota transmissions do produce a lot of break in crud in the initial 10-20,000 miles. I do my first change at 50,000 and then every 50,000 after. The first change ATF always comes out really dark almost black. Subsequent changes do not.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Sorry, the shift flate was reallly unnerving.

Normal. Every Toyota and Lexus I have owned (7)flare when cold. And every trans has lasted to 200k when we trade em in. Just don't beat on them when cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Sorry, the shift flate was reallly unnerving.

Normal. Every Toyota and Lexus I have owned (7)flare when cold. And every trans has lasted to 200k when we trade em in. Just don't beat on them when cold.

Whew! feeling better. Thanks Doog.

Still feel a little guilty that I ran it for about 6 miles a bit low by around 6oz somehow last night. I thought I was anal about it this time but next time I'm taking measuring to the "next level"!

I suppose a flare or two, although it definitely ( by laws of science ) heated up the clutches, didn't take 50k miles off the tranny life last night.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Every Toyota and Lexus I have owned (7)flare when cold.

I happen to have about 18oz left over in my quart sized Toyota WS bottle. I hear that it absorbs moisture if exposed to atmosphere. If I close it tight will it be "sealed" enough so as to avoid that moisture intake and the "shift concerns" that Toyota procedural documents warn about if a shop keeps a canister of WS "lying around" for top-offs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back