I'm done with maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
So after hanging around here for many years, I've come to the conclusion I have been over maintaining my vehicles. I think I'm done with maintenance. I now believe checking fluid levels are vital, but dumping factory fills early and changing fluids that aren't outlined in the maintenance manual are a waste. I recently purchased a new Jeep and can't see a reason to depart from the very few manufacturer required services that are listed in the manual.

The manual requires oil changes and tire rotations per the OLM along with an inspection of safety related items (steering, suspension, brakes), but the only other required maintenance is listed here, and I can't think of a reason not to follow their recommendations.

Thoughts?

For the new car buyer that bails before the factory warranty expires you are correct. Modern cars are a risk once that warranty has expired. When changing the spark plugs becomes a monumental task you can guess that vehicle is no for the timid or those on a budget.

I think you have to decide for yourself how long the manufacturer expects the vehicle to last. Their maintenance schedule might not get you to your desired mileage/age target.

Examples with that are transmission, power steering, and brake fluids. The user's manual doesn't ever need them to be changed out... and yet I fail to see how a transmission (or P/S, or brake system) would NEVER need an fluid change UNLESS the expected life was short enough to never need them to be changed.

Remember, it does Chrysler no good if you get extended life out of your vehicle- so a reasonable time period for the Jeep and then they hope you come back in to buy again.

On the other hand, if you regularly trade in your vehicles, this doesn't apply, and maintenance should be minimized to the essentials.

At the end of the day, it's your call really.

I see no mention of front and rear diff. Or auto transmission. Maybe they never get changed?

While I think most vehicles will make it to end-of-warranty with only the required maint done, if may not end up being the best for the component.

When a fluid is changed at a factory interval, but is obviously not fit for service one has to wonder.

If you want to buy a new car and drive it into the ground, you may need to change some fluids before the required interval.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
For the new car buyer that bails before the factory warranty expires you are correct. Modern cars are a risk once that warranty has expired. When changing the spark plugs becomes a monumental task you can guess that vehicle is no for the timid or those on a budget.

My dealer wants to charge 150.00 to replace spark plugs that cost me half the money and even less time than waiting in the lobby on my civic

Maintenance pays off towards the end part of the vehicles life not at the beginning.

I've found not changing rear differential fluid till an outer bearing/seal goes bad is the best route IMO. I know of a fleet shop in construction that follows the same procedure. Usually by 200k the ford 8.8 and 9.75s need a passanger axle shaft, and both outer bearings/seals. I've changed the fluid every 100k, and still had a bearing/seal leak at 130k. I say just push the original fluid till they leak.

Trans fluid I would do atleast every 60k.

Last edited:
I say go for it if you want. However, Jeep is not in the same reliability class as Honda, for instance. So if some of the service intervals are extended, I would wonder how that may affect the Jeep's long term reliability.

In many cars I've never changed the differential fluid. But, I'd agree that an automatic transmission should be done every 25K-50K miles depending on your driving habits. Coolant will be quite murky at the 10 yr point. No way I'd let it get that old without at least a couple partial drain and refills along the way.

No need to be "done".......

Just do "some".
smile.gif

I change coolant on all my vehicles at 10 year intervals...my daughters cavalier's at 15 years original coolant is still fine

Last edited:
My 30 year old Dodge 2.2 turbo is closing in on 300k miles. Conventional oil changes every 9 mos to 1 year. Only cheap oil and filters. Never synthetic oil. Transmission is original runs on Dex 3 and Gunk Transmedic. In other words I don't do what the "experts" recommend on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Maintenance pays off towards the end part of the vehicles life not at the beginning.

^^ This ^^ I run my cars to at least 200k...so I am protecting myself.

Last edited:
Thoughts?

Your title should have been "I'm done with over maintenance", instead of the click-bait title you used.

Many frequent oil changers ignore other aspects of maintenance. Truly keeping up with all of the factory maintenance schedule is usually all that is needed.

There are exceptions. My Corolla has zero scheduled maintenance for the transmission. A friend's went up at 199,000 miles. I want to get more than that out of mine. I changed the filter (yes filter not screen) and have been doing drain and fills, and will change the filter again. So far, so good.

Some would say I over maintain my vehicles, I say its worth it if you want them to last past 150K and still be running smoothly. Oil change every 5K, trans drain and fill every 10K (only 3 quarts comes out) engine coolant drain and fill every 3 years along with brake fluid, and a power steering reservoir extract and fill every oil change. These services are inexpensive especially in comparison to a failed part. Its just worth it to me! If you plan on letting the Jeep go around 100K then just follow the maintenance schedule outlined by the manufacturer, but if you plan on keeping it for 150K+ miles then go the EXTRA mile and maintain more frequently. As someone else already said, the manufacturer is in the business of selling cars, if your car lasts and lasts they don't make money.

I only do what the manual says. If I only get 300k miles on my vehicles, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back