It's a bad time to be a TDI owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Took my 04' Beetle TDI to the dealer yesterday for a new battery (last one lasted less than 8 months).

While talking to the service advisor, he said all of the TDIs are in the back lot and parked, and that trade-ins of the affected TDIs they can only pay 50% of the KBB trade-in value. That sucks! He said the reason for this is because "we don't know if we're going to have to store the cars for 6 months or 3 years for there to be a fix."

My TDI should be going up for sale this week, it'll be interesting to see how it sells if whether or not people even want TDIs after the whole scandal thing. It'll be a gamble.

Everybody that owns a VW should be appalled by the actions of the "Parent company".For a company that held its head high since the 1940s when it was taken over by the British and got up and running,to the tenure of Heinz Nordhoff,switch to water cooled and FWD,to diesel technology and one of the first imports to build in America (Pennsylvania),to now throwing all that good will away and being considered criminals by the world as a whole.VW will forever be tainted by this scandal,and they are already talking about switching to electric cars and dumping gas and diesel engines in the years to come.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think it might be a good time to buy a used one. Ed
Yes a good time to buy one, but not a good time to own one of the newer ones affected by the emissions issue and not a good time to sell one.

My sister has 2 of these TDI's. So far I think they wont get them "fixed".
Could be a great buy if your state does not have emission testings. You get awesome mileage and performance.

Did you get the noise from flywheel fixed?

I drive by a mega VW dealership with 6 story parking garage so I'm sure the dealership is fuming about all the TDI's sitting collecting dust. Will the owners of VW dealerships try and sue VW for all the lost sales ?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Took my 04' Beetle TDI to the dealer yesterday for a new battery (last one lasted less than 8 months).

While talking to the service advisor, he said all of the TDIs are in the back lot and parked, and that trade-ins of the affected TDIs they can only pay 50% of the KBB trade-in value. That sucks! He said the reason for this is because "we don't know if we're going to have to store the cars for 6 months or 3 years for there to be a fix."

My TDI should be going up for sale this week, it'll be interesting to see how it sells if whether or not people even want TDIs after the whole scandal thing. It'll be a gamble.

Yeah, that dealer is chock full of it! I know of no requirement for VW dealers to hold USED tdi's, and even if they themselves couldn't take them, they could wholesale them to bubba's corner lot.

Even if your emissions state (Cali) banned registration, mandated the upgrade, etc they could wholesale them across the border.

Sounds like a Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt bit. IMO a stock, non-flashed TDI will find an enthusiast to buy it *SPECIFICALLY* because it beat "the man" at his own game.

There are Powers That Be hoarding the things. They'll be back when gas goes up a buck.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Did you get the noise from flywheel fixed?

I drive by a mega VW dealership with 6 story parking garage so I'm sure the dealership is fuming about all the TDI's sitting collecting dust. Will the owners of VW dealerships try and sue VW for all the lost sales ?

Flywheel was replaced under warranty once and it still makes the noise. They don't know what the noise is.

With the flywheel issues, a worrisome DSG transmission, a camshaft going bad, an A/C compressor making noise, I elected to buy a Toyota and get away from the VW drama.

This whole thing will pass like things have for GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda ect and VW will be doing better than ever.

After all no one died from this, as folks did with Honda, Toyota, Ford, and GM, yet for some reason the vultures are descending like it was worse. Odd, but everyone likes to
attack the big dog, which VW is.

I'd buy a TDI in a heartbeat, and probably will as soon as the stop sell is lifted.

I've always liked VW styling, but I know they have problems that would cause me to accidentally set it on fire and file an insurance claim.

The more low tech a car is.... the more I like it.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
This whole thing will pass like things have for GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda ect and VW will be doing better than ever.

After all no one died from this, as folks did with Honda, Toyota, Ford, and GM, yet for some reason the vultures are descending like it was worse. Odd, but everyone likes to
attack the big dog, which VW is.

I'd buy a TDI in a heartbeat, and probably will as soon as the stop sell is lifted.

Problem VW is having now is intentionally cheating emission control laws of many countries.

No one else was caught intentionally violate the laws of the countries they are selling their products.

Since the cars shouldn't have been sold in the first place, the company should have to buy them back at whatever was paid including all taxes and fees. Then they can do what they want with them. They shouldn't be allowed to be legally sold again as is, they are "illegals." You can sell it to someone privately, but when there is no way to transfer title, it is still your car in your name they are running around with.

This could cause VW to fold.

I would be interested who would take up the Service afterwards? BMW? Mercedes? Those techs have their work cut out for them already...

When Suzuki pulled out of Canada, there were no problems. Ford treats those cars as their own.

I too would be very worried if I have a newer TDI VW... bad news all around.

New York State has strict emission testing BUT they will let the VW TDI have a pass. NYS doesn't want to do harm to the vehicle owners since it's not their fault.

I don't see how this debacle would affect the used car market for VW TDIs.

If it does, I'd probably take advantage of the dip in the prices, but I don't really relish the reputation of poor reliability of these cars, and German cars in general.

I am impressed that VW intentionally cheated on emission control laws. Sad they were caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back