Cartridge filter housing leak - Toyota V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just bought a new camry and changed the oil around 800 miles, along with the filter. It uses the cartridge type filter. I am using OEM filter and gaskets.

The filter housing is leaking, even after replaced the filter housing gasket with two new OEM gaskets. I am certain it's the housing, not the drain plug.

The gasket is in the right spot, and I am not picking it off so to gouge the metal housing. It drips very little, I can barely see a drop accumulate - maybe a drop every few minutes. Will it just stop in time? I am at a loss here. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have never done a Toyota filter change but if it's any thing like my 330ci, the o ring goes in a groove in the cap. Your statement about not picking the gasket off to prevent gouging is why I am mentioning this.
Using a OEM filter is very wise though - they are usually top quality.

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
Hello,

The filter housing is leaking, even after replaced the filter housing gasket with two new OEM gaskets. I am certain it's the housing, not the drain plug.

2GRFE filter housing? Did you put some oil on the new black rubber o-rings before you reinstalled the housing? Also wipe off the entire housing and all of the oil inside the piece the housing screws into. Screw in by hand then snug with a wrench. I recommend the assenmacher filter cartridge tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-TOY-640/dp/B0015PK3AG

Last edited:
Is it leaking from the housing's drain plug area, or the cap itself. The 2GR-FE has two different o-rings - a large one and a small one.

There are also two grooves that the larger o-ring can fit into, so make sure your o-ring is in the right one. There are a lot of 2gr-fe oil change guides online, so compare your o-ring placement to the one in a guide.

You probably know this already, but it's like the 330ci the O-ring also doesn't go near the lid of the cap but it sits in a groove slightly below.

If everything is OK I would try re-seating the O-ring, and make sure the surface is clean. I've had a leak before where a piece of dirt got underneath an O-ring, and prevented it from sealing properly.

I would also make sure it's torqued properly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Is it leaking from the housing's drain plug area, or the cap itself. The 2GR-FE has two different o-rings - a large one and a small one.

There are also two grooves that the larger o-ring can fit into, so make sure your o-ring is in the right one. There are a lot of 2gr-fe oil change guides online, so compare your o-ring placement to the one in a guide.

It's from the filter housing. I am certain. Not the drain plug. I read about the plastic housings being easy to scratch, but mine is metal. I can see it very slowly accumulate at the housing.

I double checked the o-ring placement, and I have already replaced the filter and gasket twice. I am disappointed since this was the first time it was ever done. I don't think an oil change tech would have been more careful.

It drips about once every 10? minutes. Very slow. I may wind up trying an aftermarket gasket or just caving and taking it to the dealer.

When tightening the filter housing the first time, it squeaked when the o-ring engaged. I added more oil on the second time, but still squeaked the last rotation.

I may have to email the dealer and set up an appointment. Very disappointed.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

I would also make sure it's torqued properly.

It doe NOT get torqued. You may have a scratch in the housing.

Last edited:
How tight are you geting it? When I do them I just tighten it until it seats, hand tight.
At my shop there is always some teething pains with new techs who "know better" than to listen
Those filters will have threads cut into the gasket if over torqued. The gasket will roll if not lubed.

If neither are your issue, parts stores sell plastic caps as replacements you could try

Originally Posted By: hansj3
How tight are you geting it? When I do them I just tighten it until it seats, hand tight.
At my shop there is always some teething pains with new techs who "know better" than to listen
Those filters will have threads cut into the gasket if over torqued. The gasket will roll if not lubed.

If neither are your issue, parts stores sell plastic caps as replacements you could try

I am torquing to 18 ft-lb. I think the packaging says this is the torque to use on the housing.

I am guessing the housing is scratched. Awesome. I would disassemble and check the current housing, but I would rather avoid disassembly/another dry start.

Did you lube the O-rings with oil? There are some oil change videos for the Camry on youtube that you could watch to make sure you're doing everything correct. Just plug in 2010+ Toyota Camry oil change.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing all correctly.
Brand new I would take it back to dealer.

I oil the o-ring and the aluminum threads on mind before re-installing. I can feel and hear the o-ring rub for a few turns until it seats. Mind is 18' lbs. also. Torque required is list on the aluminum cap itself in metric units. I used a torque converter calculator on line and it came to 18' lbs.

Double check that the old o-ring is not up inside threaded area etc.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

^ This.

I do my Venza's oil change and haven't had your issue, using Bosch and OEM filters.

Sure would like to know what your problem is once you have it figured out.

Thanks in advance.

I have to travel for work, so no sure if I can get a dealer visit in time. The car will be sitting, just very annoying. It has
I am disappointed a simple service has such a frustrating issue, and will probably buy a OEM new housing myself before taking it to the dealer. I don't like taking it there; I am really hung up on bringing cars to them for service. I'd rather spend $40 then use them to find the fix for the next attempt. I am assuming they will install a new filter - like I did, then I will have to bring it back for a new housing, which I don't want to spend time doing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: double vanos
I have never done a Toyota filter change but if it's any thing like my 330ci, the o ring goes in a groove in the cap. Your statement about not picking the gasket off to prevent gouging is why I am mentioning this.
Using a OEM filter is very wise though - they are usually top quality.

Same design for Mercedes-Benz cartridge filter holder(both are on top of the engine), but the Toyota Camry may has different design.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
This is why I will not buy a car with under engine oil filter canister.

I'm sorry, I didn't read your post completely, I just read "I will not buy ... oil filter canister", I skipped "under engine"

You don't have experience with German cartridge filter housing.

The best part of owning Mercedes-Benz and previous BMW vehicles is easy oil change.

Cartridge filter housing is on top of the engine, easy to change without any mess. Oil dipstick tube is design to use a fluid extractor, more oil can be siphon than drain.

All works can be done without getting under the car, you should be able to do oil+filter change with dress cloth.

Everytime I change oil+filter of my other cars I cursed the manufactures for not doing what MB and BMW had it done many many years ago.

Last edited:
I am 100% aware BMW and Benz has under the hood cartridge oil filter/housing. Thanks for the reminder....

Zero need for Toyota to make their cartridge /canister oil filter changes so complicated. What's so bad about their older design ?
Probably made it complicated so people take it to dealership for oil change.

I should had said cartridge instead of metal canister in previous post.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I am 100% aware BMW and Benz has under the hood cartridge oil filter/housing.

Zero need for Toyota to make their cartridge /canister oil filter changes so complicated. What's so bad about their older design ?
Probably made it complicated so people take it to dealership for oil change.

I should had said cartridge instead of metal canister in previous post.

I agree, I did an oil change on a VW 2.5 that was under the car and it was a messy pain in the butt. The GM Ecotecs are a breeze from the top, and you won't drip a drop of oil in the process.

What was wrong with spin-on filter?

So much can go wrong when you have quick lube etc working on your car.

I have changed quite a few of these successfully but its definitely not as worry free as a spin on filter.

Doesnt get any easier than the new subaru's spin-on filter.. on top of engine.

DSC05279.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back