Alero hub assembly replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I acquired 2001 Oldsmobile Alero v6-I hear crazy humming on the highway so I went ahead and ordered 2 front wheel hub assembly suspecting it's culprit since it's very common to go bad on these cars.

So, finally decided to work on the car today.Jacked the car up and took the wheel, caliper assembly off but bumped into a problem while removing the 35 mm axle nut>>>it's spinning freely in both directions when I try to break it loose
frown.gif
so what am i doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Last edited:
Put the wheel back on and remove jack.Then remove 35mm nut and jack up again.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Put the wheel back on and remove jack.Then remove 35mm nut and jack up again.

Will do that in the morning, Thanks man!
smile.gif

Actually these hubs get replaced a lot on these cars because of wiring issue on an ABS sensor. How many miles are on the car? I have a 1999 V6 Alero with 43K miles on it and I still have the original hubs.

- Break the axle nut loose with the car on its tires.

- Back the nut off but leave it on.

- Take a 4 lb sledge hammer and tap the axle nut separating the axle splines from the hub splines.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Actually these hubs get replaced a lot on these cars because of wiring issue on an ABS sensor. How many miles are on the car? I have a 1999 V6 Alero with 43K miles on it and I still have the original hubs.

The ABS light isn't on indeed but driving is more like being in a beehive.I bought this car for cheap as a spare car, it has over 200 K miles and I was a ware of this problem it has beside losing coolant but not overheating-Intake manifold gasket, I think, because the engine block is covered with what seems to be antifreeze.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
- Break the axle nut loose with the car on its tires.

- Back the nut off but leave it on.

- Take a 4 lb sledge hammer and tap the axle nut separating the axle splines from the hub splines.

I will do this tomorrow morning, Thanks
smile.gif

Thanks a lot everybody!:) installed both sides wheel hub assemblies..anyone who thinks about doing this job has to have FWD hub puller, axle nut sockets set-my car had one side 35mm and the other 36mm"don't know why
grin.gif
",c-clamp and a lot of patience"if the car was previously up north" and elbow grease!

Originally Posted By: Azeem
axle nut sockets set-my car had one side 35mm and the other 36mm"don't know why
grin.gif
",

That makes me wonder if the hub had previously been replaced with a cheapo hub bearing. I can't imagine having two different size hub nuts on the assembly line.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

That makes me wonder if the hub had previously been replaced with a cheapo hub bearing. I can't imagine having two different size hub nuts on the assembly line.

Might have been, now time to figure out where all the antifreeze is going, what's the best way to determine that?

Might have been, now time to figure out where all the antifreeze is going, what's the best way to determine that?

You should see it on the ground, if it is just disappearing it may be being pulled through the engine from a bad manifold or head gasket. In which case it is likely the exhaust pipe will be putting out a white cloud that smells like antifreeze.

Originally Posted By: mk378

You should see it on the ground, if it is just disappearing it may be being pulled through the engine from a bad manifold or head gasket. In which case it is likely the exhaust pipe will be putting out a white cloud that smells like antifreeze.

I haven't got underneath the car to look but the whole engine block is coated with orange film"dexcool" and oil has no water and didn't overheat on a 3-hours drive and I couldn't say there's a cloud of white smoke or anything but from my understanding the coolant is leaking out and there has to be options-head gasket,Intake manifold gasket or a timing chain cover but it loses about a quart for every 2 hours worth of driving and that's a lot!! is uv dye any feasible to approach this problem?

I had an Alero V6 that was leaking like a sieve when I got it, and was sure I had the intake manifold gasket problem.

The gasket turned out to be intact. The first actual problem was the intake manifold bolts worked loose (a common problem with this engine, and there is a TSB out on it). The recommended solution to that is a set of improved bolts with thread locker preinstalled.

The other actual problem was the thermostat bypass pipe was pouring out coolant where it contacted the manifold. It was a bit of a trick for a layman like me to figure out where this leak was coming from, and I believe it was caused because the previous problem caused the car to be run low on coolant with subsequent overheating. The pipe is installed by coating the lower end with red thread locker, then pressing it into the manifold. I'm not impressed with the design.

I'd recommend a Felpro Problem Solver intake manifold gasket and new bolts with the preinstalled thread locker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I recommend visting this Alero website / forum:
http://www.aleromod.com

Yes, I have a 1999 V6 model, that has 43K miles on it. I like tha car. Already did the LIM.

I do like this car as well but mine has A LOT more miles than yours and it's a 4 door! Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back