I think I may have solved Volvo Spark Plug mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Volvos from the early 2000's call for a Champion RC8PYP8, but it doesn't seem to be obtainable anywhere. According to Champion, they never made such a plug, and if they did, the 8 at the end would mean a gap of .080 in! That also means it's a mistake because the gap is specified as .030, give or take.

I think it's supposed to say RC8PYPB. This makes sense since the gap for that plug is around .030 in, consistent with the owners manual, and other aftermarket plugs recommended for these Volvos. The Champion part number for the RC8PYPB is 7343.

Now, Volvo is known for having some rather serious errors in their owners manuals, especially of the time that the Champions were used about 10 years ago, such as specifying ATF for power steering systems that are supposed to take green CHF 11s.

I can see how B and 8 could be mistaken and misprinted.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Silk
More likely 0.8mm.

Yep = 0.031

That was my first thought too.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Get NGK and Forget about Champion

True, but some people only like to use the OEM, which is Champion in this case. But I do agree that NGK is better.

There is always Champion's iridium RC8WYPB3, but many don't like iridium in these cars.

Originally Posted By: Silk
More likely 0.8mm.

Of course, and I thought of this too, but that's not how Champion does their numbering system. I asked Champion and that's what they said.

Interestingly, on Champion's website, they recommend the RC8PYP4 and a gap of .030, which is not possible from the spec sheet of that plug (which shows a gap range). But, the iridium and copper alternatives do have the correct gap specified.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
When I had my S60R I would just go to the dealer every 30k miles and get a pack of 5 for like $30.

Yup - that's what j did for the last Volvo I worked on. Just give them the VIN and you'll be sure to get the right ones. Then I just pass the cost along to the customer.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back