Noteworthy NAPA battery return experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife called today and said her battery was dead. She got it jump started but I later took it out and took it to Napa. This is a 39 month old battery, btw. The counter guy tested it and said it needed replaced.

All three of the counter people were soon involved. I did not bring (forgot to even check at home if I still have the receipt) the receipt. They asked when I bought it. I remembered the day because it was the 4th of July 2012. They called the store 2500 miles away (NC) where I bought it, checked on a part number quirk, and then proceeded to give me a new battery, pro rated, for $61. It was super easy and the folks couldn't have been more helpful, esp. since I didn't have the receipt with me.

It was also interesting because as soon as I brought it in, they asked where in the world I'd bought that battery. They knew I hadn't purchased it here in Idaho. Apparently, different contractors make Napa batteries in different parts of the country. The manager assumed this had been a Delco made battery, but that the ones he gets to sell in his store are Johnson Control batteries. (He says they have very few problems, which is a contrast to the days they were supplied by Exide. Per the manager, again.)

Anyway, I thought that was interesting and might surprise a few folks. Where you're buying a Napa battery might affect its reliability.

Thats common with most of the battery business having different battery makers print the same label. There are like 3 or 4 big brands that actually supply 98% of the battery business and Johnson Controls and Exide are the two biggest.

Hello, Great to share a good experience. Thanks. People should make the effort to report good experiences.

I've always preferred Johnson Controls batteries.

Re: The treatment you got at your NAPA store. Just goes to show ya......it's all about service.

Bring them a chocolate bar and blow their minds. Kira

Let them know how you feel about their service. People in counter sales seldom get any recognition. Any little thing will be greatly appreciated and they'll know your name forever.

I'm so impressed with the service at my local Discount Tire that I stop at the store and bring a box of cookies or donuts every time I get the tires balanced/rotated, or new tires or whatever. It's fun to see them light up when they see me coming with a box.

Exide batteries are generally horrible. I've never seen batteries grow terminal fuzz as fast or as massive as on those exides.

*this was standard flooded lead acid type*

Sounds like sears with the pro rate scam... Sorry to burst your bubble but i get my batteries from auto zone commercial and the one time i had a problem with a gold battery that was 4 years old they gave me a new one..Absolutely no charge. Im pretty sure it went dead because the vehicle was not driven all winter and the battery probably froze. Im pretty sure this is the norm with auto zone but i could be wrong because we spend a lo with our commercial account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back