dead Mopar battery, how are NAPA Legend prem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my lovely OEM/ORIGINAL since 2012 Mopar battery died today. Tested it, no bueno.

Had a 40$ gift card to NAPA.
Picked up a NAPA Legend Premium 9848 battery. Looks like a deka rebrand. Had better specs than the OEM, which oddly enough also looks like a DEKA.

Any good luck with these? Paid 117$ for it after the gift card/mil discount/core

Car starts quicker to me. I don't know.this one says 760cca, the OEM said 600 something.

What you doing with that battery? Batteries should last at a very minimum 5 years. Check out WalMart, the ones with the longest guarantee, and the biggest one that will fit. NASA batteries, pretty sure. Mine (they used to be the 3 year yellow ones) last well over 10 years, getting used 99 out of 100 days. And less than that Napa price for sure

There is literally nothing hooked to it that isn't stock.
I had a critter under my hood a few weeks back, chewed the horn wires and the BCM went bad. Maybe the short caused a battery issue?
Regardless, dodge warranty fixed all that

That critter BTW was a squirrel. i was in the field when it happened, I got back and the horn wouldn't work, as was the cell on. Took it into dealer and they did multi point inspections, horn was fixed, CEL was gas pedal sensors.

I think some Napa batteries might be Johnson Controls. They do carry Optima. They may have multiple battery suppliers.

So far so good with the Napa Legend 7559 in my truck, but it's not even a year old yet.

I Could easily be mistaken, but isn't the TX Heat just as hard(if not harder) than the winter cold of the North? basically cooking/"boiling" the battery...

not to mention if there were a couple near/full discharges while you were "in the field" or if you had any deployments, etc..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willyreid
What you doing with that battery? Batteries should last at a very minimum 5 years. Check out WalMart, the ones with the longest guarantee, and the biggest one that will fit. NASA batteries, pretty sure. Mine (they used to be the 3 year yellow ones) last well over 10 years, getting used 99 out of 100 days. And less than that Napa price for sure
Batteries in the heat don't last long. Batteries in the cold seem to last forever.

Here in Phoenix (hottest city in in America) our batteries last usually 2 years and if you're lucky, 3 years.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
So my lovely OEM/ORIGINAL since 2012 Mopar battery died today. Tested it, no bueno.

Had a 40$ gift card to NAPA.
Picked up a NAPA Legend Premium 9848 battery. Looks like a deka rebrand. Had better specs than the OEM, which oddly enough also looks like a DEKA.

Any good luck with these? Paid 117$ for it after the gift card/mil discount/core

Car starts quicker to me. I don't know.this one says 760cca, the OEM said 600 something.

I just put one of these in my Dad's 2011 Mustang GT. It was an exact replacement as far as size goes and the specs were just as good or better as well. No issues so far, this was a couple weeks ago. Runs just fine and starts with no problems. Good batteries as far as I can tell and they had a better prorated lifetime than other brands around here at other stores. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...496R_0398879698

Originally Posted By: willyreid

Battery life is related to the temperature the battery is kept at. For every increase of 10 degree C (or 18 degree F) average temperature that the battery sees you can expect the life to reduce by a factor of half. The average temperature in Texas is hotter than the average temperature in California and therefore the life expectancy is less.

Nick,

Here in Florida I got 7 years out of an OEM Panasonic battery in the Acura RSX. Not as hot as Phoenix but checking water level does help battery life.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nick,

Here in Florida I got 7 years out of an OEM Panasonic battery in the Acura RSX. Not as hot as Phoenix but checking water level does help battery life.
Yeah I think California and Florida would be good places for battery life.

Florida gets humid, not hot. So it can seem hotter than Phoenix but a battery isn't going to care if it's humid out. Only in the 90s which is nice weather (aside from humidity).

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nick,

You mean there are still batteries you can do that with?!

Many of them do have dual long caps which can be popped out even though they are NOT designed for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back