4,000 HP on gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has to be one of the most incredible engines I've seen; 3,000 hp on pump gasoline, 4,000 hp on race gasoline, perfectly streetable! Twin turbo big block chevy.

Easily possible in a highly boosted engine.

I have dreamed about building a monster stroker with a couple of hair dryers on it but the budget just won't allow for such incredible excess...

That's a big engine with a huge turbo setup. I can't imagine it fitting under the hood of say a 57' Chevy. Whats it built for?

He said air cooled-but I don't see any fins, shrouding, fans, or anything else? Guessing this is a drag only motor, run it 30-40 seconds & shut it down to cool it off?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Wait a minute..........it gains 1000HP just by switching from pump gas to racing fuel ?

Not exactly. By switching from pump to race gas they are able to change the fuel and spark timing maps and also pile on a TON more boost. In the video, they ran 20psi on pump fuel and 60psi on race fuel.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That's a big engine with a huge turbo setup. I can't imagine it fitting under the hood of say a 57' Chevy. Whats it built for?

It will fit wherever they want or need it to. It was stated in the video that the tubing setup they were using was only for the dyno. When it's on the dyno, they can plumb it however they want for ease of assembly and working/tuning.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
He said air cooled-but I don't see any fins, shrouding, fans, or anything else? Guessing this is a drag only motor, run it 30-40 seconds & shut it down to cool it off?

It's water cooled. I think you heard him say "intercooled" in the video and mistook that for air cooled. If you pause it at 1:48, you can see the cooling hoses on either side of the belt drive.

Steetable is used loosely. It's still a big inch motor that going to be hard on parts. I've seen and raced against many cool drag motors. Twin turbos, Pro-charged, Blown alcohol etc.

Technology is allowing turbos to come safely alive. The ability to tune is amazing.

I love the big N/A Pro Stock Mountain motor engines. I haven't been following them but "back in the day" Robert Patrick was running an 814ci BOSS 429 making something like 2,200HP all motor on race gas. You could buy a "1800+" HP combo from the guy who, at the time, was building his engines, Jon Kaase. He broke every track record for the class at both Cayuga and Grand Bend the two times I saw him run.

Jon now sells a 1900+ HP 820ci version:
http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/html/820_ford_hemi.html

815fordhemi.jpg

0MG it's a Ford???!!!
Nevertheless the North American obsession with 16 valve V8s is very close to pricing itself out of business
with their short life spans and consumables like 1,200 lb. valve springs.

I would like to see the big three add a couple of cylinders to their high tech 24 valve V6s.
Or pair two of them together for a quad turbo 48 valve V12.

For racing to be fun and not just a spectator sport, it has to be affordable to attract and retain new participants.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
0MG it's a Ford???!!!
Nevertheless the North American obsession with 16 valve V8s is very close to pricing itself out of business

I would like to see the big three add a couple of cylinders to their high tech 24 valve V6s.

For racing to be fun and not just a spectator sport, it has to be affordable to attract and retain new participants.

The (16-valve) 427 SOHC HEMI (Ford) was very successful in a variety of racing venues and made north of 650HP bone stock from your local Ford parts counter.

A little 800HP hotrod build of one here, which also covers the history of it:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0908-ford-427-cammer-build/

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: used_0il
0MG it's a Ford???!!!

The (16-valve) 427 SOHC HEMI (Ford) was very successful in a variety of racing venues and made north of 650HP bone stock from your local Ford parts counter.

A little 800HP hotrod build of one here, which also covers the history of it:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0908-ford-427-cammer-build/

Now that was an interesting article.
The Ford hemi.

This engine and the mopar were so powerful they banned them from competition and got their own class for drag racing.
I found it neat that ford had this sohc stuff figured out in the 60s and when the mod motors came out it wasn't their first dance.
Thanks for the Link

Back in the day you could buy a stripped down pony car, no other options than the big engine, 4 speed and locker diff.

Now if you want the big engine you have to order the 7 speaker Bose sound system.
If you want the manual transmission you have to order the power sunroof.
The locker diff is part of the premium performance package with heated and cooled leather seats, but your 7 speaker sound system only comes on the luxury model.

By the time you get your big engine, manual transmission and locker diff your car has doubled in price and weighs another 500 pounds.

The above would be funny if it wasn't true, and I'm not creative enough to make this stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back