Mobil 1 0W-40, 10105 miles, Infinity 3.5L VQ35DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infiniti%20G35%20Oil%20Analysis%203.jpg

Last UOA from my G35. Previous UOA's are Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-30 respectively.

Looks good to me.

I don't know how much I trust oxidation by IR because the viscosity is spot on and the TNB is high as well.

Wear #'s all look good other than lead, but maybe that's in the normal range for this high mileage motor. What did you use for the refill?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Wear #'s all look good other than lead, but maybe that's in the normal range for this high mileage motor. What did you use for the refill?

My son works at a GM dealership and they sell what he believes to be a synthetic blend 5W-30 that meets the Dexos specs. I had him get a virgin sample and I'm going to send it off for a VOA. I'll run that 5K miles and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
Impressive. How long in months was the last run?
VQ35DE are considered "hard on oil" and the longest I ran in my G35 was 6.1K with QSUD 5w30, whereupon the chain started to rattle on startup. Never had this problem since. Need to try to run M1 longer than 6K.

Originally Posted By: dmiko
Impressive. How long in months was the last run?
VQ35DE are considered "hard on oil" and the longest I ran in my G35 was 6.1K with QSUD 5w30, whereupon the chain started to rattle on startup. Never had this problem since. Need to try to run M1 longer than 6K.

About 20 months. The car gets driven very little in the winter so more of the miles were in the warmer months.

First of all, thanks for sharing.

I would say don't run over 5,000 miles and/or over a year on this engine. The bearing wear is really high and the engine may not last much longer. It's probably being caused by corrosion caused by oil degeneration. Heavier grade or strong A3/B4 additive package of 0W-40 didn't benefit much either. I would say stick with a synthetic 5W-30 and 5,000-mile/1-year, whichever comes first, OCIs. Keep things simple and you will get much better results. This engine doesn't seem to tolerate OCIs longer than 5,000 miles and/or 1 year, whichever comes first.

This makes me think perhaps I made a mistake myself as well by using 0W-40 and perhaps I should have used 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
The bearing wear is really high and the engine may not last much longer.

I thought these engines don't have lead in the bearings.

A nice comparison between 3 of the M1 weight oils. I'm considering the same switch from 5w-30 to 0w-40 (on a 17K mile car). The big difference other than more viscosity is that 600 ppm reduction in Magnesium and the 2500 ppm increase in Calcium. 10K-11K per oil change is a pretty long interval imo. The first OCI on this report at 4800 miles came out very good.

“OXIDATION” is a general term used to describe the degradation of the basic lube
product as a result of operating temperatures and/or churning with air. Generally, oil
thickening is associated with oxidation. Organic acids are formed prior to and during
thickening which can be detected by TAN increase. Oxidation of lube is not only
significant from the standpoint of thickening, but the lubricating quality (lubricity) of the lube itself can also be reduced.

---

The analysis is reported as abs/cm (absorbance/centimeter). Abs/cm is the amount of light that is absorbed per pathlength of the measuring cell in centimeters. This abs/cm is related to the concentration of the chemistry being measured.

I'd NEVER run oil that long in your Infinity. Doesn't Nissan spec something like 3700k or something? That's where all your wear is coming from imo,running your oil too long.

I think people are asking how you interpret the oxidation number. What is considered significant?

If they are doing this by IR wouldn't they need a baseline of the clean oil to measure oxidation properly? Unless the oxidation peak is highly unique.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Surprised to see M1 0w-40 have more oxidation than M1 0w-30 and 5w-30 here. Iron numbers about the same per mile.

IIRC, a certain component will show high levels of oxidation in an oil when it isn't actually oxidation. It was discussed on here before.

My oxidation level for the same lubricant at around 6,200 miles was 39 for the M5.

The problem is that the Blackstone UOA's don't show oxidation so we don't see it very often.

If you google search this site for UOA's that show oxidation you'll see that M1 0w-40 as well as some of the AMSOIL oils show higher levels of oxidation.

This Subaru report for example:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2017688

And this Saab report:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=221654

And this Audi report:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=252362

IMHO, it is "normal" for this oil and the only reason we don't discuss it much is that most UOA's on this site don't show it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
IIRC, a certain component will show high levels of oxidation in an oil when it isn't actually oxidation. It was discussed on here before. .

Indeed this is an oil thats tried-and-true, so no matter what it does chemically I tend not to think its anything. I did notice, however, there might be some basic oil thickening from oxidation, since after 10k miles usage KV100 was about the same as new oil, when we typically see some shearing of the VII after that many miles, so the theory is a bit of oxidation increased viscosity while the shearing reduced viscosity in about the same amount.

We'd have to see oxidation numbers for new oil and just get a difference, the only way to tell for sure.

Not sure about the oxidation, but the lead looks high, doesn't it?
On the other hand, if each oil run is close to 2 years, than how many years would it take for the engine to develop a problem requiring attention at this level of lead wear?
OP, how many months was the second run (with the highest lead level)?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
IIRC, a certain component will show high levels of oxidation in an oil when it isn't actually oxidation. It was discussed on here before.

Yes, that's why Mola and others continually remind us to get VOAs and try to stick with one lube for trending purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back