Ford 7.3 IDI winter oil 10w-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Delo 15w-40 in my 1994 F250 Ford IDI w/225K mi forever (has been a spare occasionally driven vehicle for many years until recently). However, i have found myself driving the vehicle more in colder months and wondered if I should move to lighter oil for the colder months ? -Thanks

I have an '89 IDI and have been running 10w-30 in it for years, year around. These engines were originally speced for a 30 wt. when new.

In a round-a-bout sort of way, Ford was kind of right with their old recommendations...

Above 32 F: SAE 30
Below 90 F: 15W-40

Given that these were the two commonly available "diesel" viscosities back then, SAE 30 would maintain viscosity when hot, and a 15w product would provide enhanced cold start performance.

Of course, nowadays, excellent 10w-30's are available for cheap; Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel 10w-30 is on the shelf on your local Walmart for $17.97/5qts.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
5w40. Mine drinks it though. I stick with 15w40.

Try the Motorcraft product I mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

My '89 IDI F-450 drinks ALL of them, but a cheap diesel rated 10W30 makes it easier to start unplugged, this year it's Mystik JT-8 10W30, $55/5 gallons from Blain's Farm & Fleet. If I put my 5W40 TDT or Delvac 1 in it, I'd be in Exxon Valdez territory!

I meant to offer the 10w-30 product as a viable 5w-40 alternative; superb pumpability, lower cost and shear-stable -- not as a way to mitigate consumption. Sorry for the confusion.

I meant to offer the 10w-30 product as a viable 5w-40 alternative; superb pumpability, lower cost and shear-stable -- not as a way to mitigate consumption. Sorry for the confusion.
I know, I actually mix some of the green bottle NextGen Maxlife 10W40 (rated SM/CF) in it in summer, it slows it down a little, but I really just need to bite the bullet & put a rear main seal & oil cooler orings in it, just don't have the time. If only Valvoline would make a diesel MaxLife oil...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

My '89 IDI F-450 drinks ALL of them, but a cheap diesel rated 10W30 makes it easier to start unplugged, this year it's Mystik JT-8 10W30, $55/5 gallons from Blain's Farm & Fleet. If I put my 5W40 TDT or Delvac 1 in it, I'd be in Exxon Valdez territory!

Exxon Valdez is so 1990s! Deepwater Horizon is the new hotness when it comes to oil spills.

I know, I actually mix some of the green bottle NextGen Maxlife 10W40 (rated SM/CF) in it in summer, it slows it down a little, but I really just need to bite the bullet & put a rear main seal & oil cooler orings in it, just don't have the time. If only Valvoline would make a diesel MaxLife oil...

You could use Liqui Moly oil saver additive with HDEO.

I guess that I will go with the Motorcraft 10w-30 at WM although it is tempting to blend in the Rotella T6 5w-40 with the Delo 15w-40 (have lots of it). BTW the OCI/FCI is about 4,000 mi.

Last edited:

Mine does not leak. It must burn it. A qt of 15w40 in 700 miles or a qt of 5w40 in 200 miles.10w30 isnt ever on sale here so I have never used it.

Cold here is low 20's and it always started right up.

$2/qt AZ syn clearance? I picked up some pennz 5w-40, for the vw but enough to do one Ford service too.
They had syntec in the good ol 5w-50 also. I plan to buy it up tomorrow for the stash, i f I can't find more euro.

Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back