alternator- new or remanufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area there's a small shop that rebuilds alternators, generators, starters and other electrical devices. They've been here since 1949. I'd never go anywhere else.

I did one thing based on their advice. When the brushes in the alternator on my 84 Honda (purchased new) wear down to a certain point I replace them. With 4.4K miles the alternator is working like new. I'm now on my 3rd set of brushes.

Can you get a Remy reman? If it's a GM application the Remy remans are the same as the AC Delco ones.

FWIW, I have a Denso reman and it's holding up but I'm noticing some bearing squeal.

Quote:
*We currently ship from warehouses in California, Florida, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Tennessee. We will ship your item(s) from the closest warehouse if we have inventory in that location.

It sounds like they are just a reseller/repackager at this point.

advanced auto's reman cs130's are remaned by remy a supplier to ac delco. I have a cs130d aa reman now in a vehicle and it was spot on first try!

lots of people here talk about the mythical mom pop alternator rebuilder on this site. i took a 350 amp niehoff to one in my local area and they said to rebuild it would be more costly than a new one. so i bought the new one for $2100.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

lots of people here talk about the mythical mom pop alternator rebuilder on this site. i took a 350 amp niehoff to one in my local area and they said to rebuild it would be more costly than a new one. so i bought the new one for $2100.

Nothing "mythical" about it. I even said in my first post the rebuild would cost more than new, but when pressed the proprietor admitted the rebuild would likely last considerably longer.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Reman ones are garbage. Go to the junk yard and pick up an oem or have yours rebuilt by a local alternator/starter shop.

Junkyard would be the cheapest good quality one, assuming low enough mileage and the original design was good.

I bought mine from somebody named installerselect on ebay. These guys were a california company and gave me the printout of the tests. it is possible that their factory is across the border rather than being in california.

The new units at Advance USED to be supplied by Remy. If it is 'Made in Mexico' it will be the same as getting a new production unit. The older applications are sometimes made in China instead and are relabled aftermarket stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back