Hose removal tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked about chafe guard for hoses on here and finally bought some, now my question is do you guys have any tips on removing a 3/4" hose without damaging it? The original hose I replaced I had to cut it off and peel it back and yank on it to get it broken lose. It was basically melted on there. The new hose hasn't been on that long so I'm hoping it should come off with ease. I know they make hose picks, are there any other tricks?

http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product/industrial-hose/7095-hose

This is what I have. It has an outer protective layer that's about 1/8" thick covering the inside hose so this 3/4" hose is actually like 1-1/8" diameter.

Twist the hose to break it loose from the fitting. Either by hand or grasp lightly with slip-joint pliers over the area where the clamp was. Once broken loose you may need to push on the end edge of the hose rather than pull it off. When you pull on a hose the ID contracts and it grabs the fitting tighter. Pushing on the end expands the ID. That is one of the main things the pick tool does though you can improvise with a flat screwdriver.

Heater cores are fragile, twisting hoses on them can lead to a real mess of busted solder etc.

The hook/ pick things are the best option. A flathead screwdriver works where access isn't a problem.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Heater cores are fragile, twisting hoses on them can lead to a real mess of busted solder etc.

A very good point. Many of those outlet pipes that stick through the firewall are only thin soft brass or copper. If it is really stuck it would be a lot better to cut the hose than damage the core.

Last edited:
Back when I worked at a service station, we used a cotter pin removal tool like this:
e429269e-6980-4d28-aa52-13e66f924025_400.jpg

Same idea as the tool listed above. Worked every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back