1999 Explorer tail lamps out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks ,I did a search and found a image of the owners manual page . Was not sure if the post should go in the maintenance or lighting forum .

If the fuse is good, it could be the switch on the brake pedal.

Cheap and easy fix.

Thank you I will check it out. The brake and signal bulbs are working but the regular tail lights are out on each side.

Always check the bulbs first.

Do the yellow lights on the front light up? They should be on the same fuse.

No, the front corner lights are not working .not sure if that is what you meant, they seem to have a light orange lens from what I can see .

I checked fuse #30 15 amp mini fuse .

All other lights are good turn signals front and rear, brakes, headlamps .

swapped in rear replacement bulb did not light up on either side

Next check would be to use a test light or voltmeter to see if power is reaching the fuse when you turn the light switch on. You can probe the little metal nubs on the top of the fuse while it is plugged in, those are there by design as test points.

Also try the light switch on the first click that only lights the tail lights, if they light then but not on the second click (head + tail lights), it is almost certainly a bad switch.

Last edited:
If park, side marker, tail & license lights are out, it's probably the head light switch... Fairly common in Fords with push/pull switches(dunno style yours has)...

MK378, I found the fuse you referred to it was in the under hood fuse box . It kept blowing after turning the lights on .

I inspected the rear sockets again and found a bit of water around them . leaking in from top of the assembly.

I replaced the bulb on one side and put a new fuse in .

Tail lamps and front yellow lights are now working .
Thanks all .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back