Best way to store 50 gallons of gaoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
According to the instructions on the Sta-Bil bottle the dose is one ounce per 2.5 gallons. That is 2 ounces per 5 gallons, 20 ounces per 50 gallons, 22 ounces per 55 gallons.

You can double the dose for up to two years of storage. That would be 44 ounces per 55 gallons.

I went 2.5 times 50. How'd you do it ?

Originally Posted By: cat843
I assume this is for a generator? Save yourself the hassle and go propane. You can buy a propane generator or I have seen kits to convert gasoline ones.

Propane does not go bad.

Propane has some problems. You need a large enough tank so that the refrigeration effect does not cause too much cooling. If the tank is too small for the rate you are using the propane then the liquid propane in the tank can become too cold. That will cause the pressure in the tank to be too low.

Also, propane is heavier than air. If there is a leak and there is no wind, propane can flow down hill and accumulate in low areas. That can result in an explosive mixture that is large enough to be a real danger.

Of course one needs large enough propane tanks to do the job. Many times the propane companies will rent the tanks to you if you buy the propane from them. I think leaks with a propane tank, piping and generator all outside are not much of a concern. Fifty gallons of gas is (should) be a concern. And the associated dealing with it. Buying the gas, getting it home, using it after 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I like the drum and pump mostly because it's cleaner as most 5 gallon containers spill a little out the nozzle or vent. If the fuel container doesn't need to be moved then a drum pump with a padlock is also more convenient than a chain through the jug handles.

I'm in the no-vent camp.

The last-in, first out inventory management scheme has merits and that's possible with small containers.

I think you mean first in first out. So that the oldest gas gets used first.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
According to the instructions on the Sta-Bil bottle the dose is one ounce per 2.5 gallons. That is 2 ounces per 5 gallons, 20 ounces per 50 gallons, 22 ounces per 55 gallons.

You can double the dose for up to two years of storage. That would be 44 ounces per 55 gallons.

I went 2.5 times 50. How'd you do it ?

Since one ounce treats 2.5 gallons you first need to find out how many 2.5 gallon amounts you have. 55 gallons / 2.5 gallons = 22 so you have 22 2.5 gallon amounts. And since each 2.5 gallon amounts requires one ounce that means treatment requires 22 X 1 = 22 ounces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back