3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit Actually Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 3M Fuel System Tune-Up Kit from Amazon a while ago when they had it for around $20, and with $10 rebate the final cost was about $10-11 after tax.

I used it to fix the low idle in the 2006 Volvo V70 with 16x,xxx miles last weekend. Every few days the car had CEL with code P0204 or something like that.

Used the kit as instructed and it did raise the idle from around 500-550 RPM to 650-700 RPM, engine is running much smoother now at all RPM from idle to 4-5k. No more CEL since last Saturday.

Just checked the price on Amazon, it is $39.xx now. If it drops to around $20 and with $10 rebate I will buy few more kits.

Looks like a great system. 3M seems to have very good products. Excellent reviews on it as well. I'd gobble them up at $11 or so.

I forgot to mention that the car had that CEL for several months, I tried 2 bottles Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner concentrate in 2 fill-ups but it didn't do anything.

Using 3M kit needs a little more works, but it worth the effort and time.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Looks like a great system. 3M seems to have very good products. Excellent reviews on it as well. I'd gobble them up at $11 or so.

Agreed. For $10 or so I will stock up to use in future.

Last edited:
There's 3 parts to that kit:

1) Throttle Body Cleaner
2) Combustion chamber cleaner through air intake
3) PEA fuel injector cleaner that you put in the gas

2) + 3) is available from Walmart for $20 as their fuel injector service. The difference is that they feed through the brake booster so you may prefer the 3M method.

Buying a throttle bottle cleaner for a few dollars would then give you the same as the 3M kit.

I'm just putting this info out there as an alternative if you can't get the deal that HTSS_TR did or you don't want to do the simple diy or if you have a problematic air intake.

And I agree with him that sometimes there will be things to clean that the in tank PEA cleaner cannot.

Grumble...I do like 3M products but I am skeptical of the effectiveness of in tank cleaners and anything fed through a vacuum line. I like the system that connects directly to the fuel rail. Yes, I know it's much more expensive but I think it's the right way to do it. (If it's really needed!)

Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08836-Universal...+system+cleaner

3mfsckit.jpg

What was that code about? I have stocked 3 kits so far but not used even one yet. I am saving them for "rainy days". I do hope it has long long shelf life!

3M does not make junk products.

By the way, that thing you posted needs shop air unlike the DIY kit posted by HTSS.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What was that code about? I have stocked 3 kits so far but not used even one yet. I am saving them for "rainy days". I do hope it has long long shelf life!

By the way, that thing you posted needs shop air unlike the DIY kit posted by HTSS.

The code was the link to it at Amazon. You pressure from the aerosol can is all it needs - or at least the one I used in the past was.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Grumble...I do like 3M products but I am skeptical of the effectiveness of in tank cleaners and anything fed through a vacuum line. I like the system that connects directly to the fuel rail. Yes, I know it's much more expensive but I think it's the right way to do it. (If it's really needed!)

Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08836-Universal...+system+cleaner

3mfsckit.jpg

If the injectors contamination is varnish based through the rail is a good way to get rid of it. If the contamination is particulate matter then no, it could drive more junk from the rail into the injectors built in filter and make things worse.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The code was the link to it at Amazon. You pressure from the aerosol can is all it needs - or at least the one I used in the past was.
Sorry, I meant to ask about your check engine light code! I have too many kits still in the basement to purchase one more!!

Two weeks update:

The CEL didn't come back, the hot idle is good at around 650-700 RPM.

One benefit I didn't expect was oil consumption is reduced substantial, from around 1/2 quarts every 500-600 miles to less than 1/8 quarts in 500 miles. I used to top off 1/2 quart every second fill up now I don't need to.

The PCV system(flame trap) was replaced last year but didn't slow down the oil consumption. This magic Fuel System Tune-Up Kit did it.

Full disclosure: I have nothing to do with 3M company, I don't own 3M stocks(may be my mutual funds have some 3M stocks, I don't know). This is my experience with a 3M product, I don't try to influence anyone in using or not using it.

Why did you do that to me? How could I resist this for $10 after rebate price? I hate you :)

Me too. I couldn't resist.

I will use this kit for the 2000 E430 with 170+k miles, it could use a fuel system cleaner.

The engine's throttle body and throttle plate are probably very dirty and sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back