Torque Converter Shudder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would and have in these transmissions. Its a dedicated product for this issue only and it works exactly as they claim.
12 qts? it works great in an 18 qt 4R100.

They won't shutter with Type F, ran a '93 with AODE 98K(from 33K to 131K) miles on F... Originally it was slipping on the 1st to 2nd shift so I installed a B&M shift improver, and it worked fine... Eventually started leaking from pump to case gasket(caused delayed engagement), so I installed a rebuilt unit... Yes I switched it back to Mercon for the warranty, sold it approx three years later(in '10), AFAIK it's still going...

My sister was talked into a trans service on her '94 T-Bird with AODE at one of the quickie lube places, started shuttering a couple days later... I did a complete fluid exchange via cooler line, never shuttered again... That was years ago, she traded it in on a new '00 Isuzu...

"The guys on crownvic.net say to do a cooler line flush plus drain the TC."

This is the only sure way to do it properly. Drop the pan, throw in a new filter, drain converter, lines, and cooler. During the TSB fix we also installed a trans cooler which necessitated new cooler lines. The converter has a convenient drain plug.

Get 12 quarts of fluid, do the job right.....once, and you are good to go.

Ditto on above about a converter shudder being very similar to an ignition misfire. I will admit to throwing a couple sets of 12259s at a shudder over the years. Nobody is perfect.

Last edited:
If you can score a UHaul pan that would make future jobs a lot easier. F8UZ-7A194-AA is the p/n and F2VY-7A191-A is the elastomeric reusable gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back