Used cars and low fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Yep, they'll fill new here, but usually not used And, there's no financial justification in them keeping every used car with a tankful of fuel. I'd prefer they did not, to be honest, if I were buying.

Agreed, assuming a test drive here and there, should be fairly fresh fuel in the tank....

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They aren't going to pay an hourly employee to run a car to the gas station to fill up...

Especially when they might end up sending it to the auction or trading it to another dealer.

Besides they would prefer to have the money in their account than in a bunch of gas tanks on the lot.

On top of it, they probably don't want people taking the vehicles on extended test drives and burning through a ton of dealer-supplied gas in the process. Instead, if you want to take a vehicle on an extended test drive, you will put that gas in or you will bring the vehicle right back.

Trust me, there are potential buyers out there that if they see lots of gas in the tank, they'll run all sorts of errands before returning the car. After all, it's free gas, right?

Every new car I have purchased has come empty, but the dealer always payed for the first fill up one way or another. I mean, obviously we pay for it, but they do make sure the tank is full before I leave.

Last edited:
Their is no incentive for a dealer to have more fuel in any vehicle than what is needed for a test drive or moving them around the lot.

Besides filling the tank when they are sold makes the customer feel like they got something for free.

New cars are shipped with only a gallon or two of gas in them from the factory. The dealer will fill them when they are sold. Which BTW the customer pays for, $60 on an F150 if you look at the real dealer break down, along with $1k that helps pay for marketing.

Nothing is free but the perception with a new purchase is that they are doing you a favor, the reality is that the consumer is paying for everything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dishdude
They aren't going to pay an hourly employee to run a car to the gas station to fill up...

Especially when they might end up sending it to the auction or trading it to another dealer.

Besides they would prefer to have the money in their account than in a bunch of gas tanks on the lot.

On top of it, they probably don't want people taking the vehicles on extended test drives and burning through a ton of dealer-supplied gas in the process. Instead, if you want to take a vehicle on an extended test drive, you will put that gas in or you will bring the vehicle right back.

Trust me, there are potential buyers out there that if they see lots of gas in the tank, they'll run all sorts of errands before returning the car. After all, it's free gas, right?

when I was much younger, I used to do exactly this. On Saturday morning when I had errands to run, I'd check out a used car lot and take something interesting for a drive. Sure enough I'd get all my errands done and return the car just to say "sorry, I dont' think it's the right car for me".

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Warstud
If the vehicle gets stolen...there not getting far.

Right track, but it's mostly so gas thieves don't have a smorgasbord of vehicles to steal fuel from.

Today I talked to a guy that worked at a dealership and he said the same exact thing I did. He also mentioned gas being stolen by thieves and employees working at the dealership.

I know I've turned many a trade-in in all Cosmo Kramer low on fuel. My guess on the pre-owned being low on fuel would be for that very reason.

I test drove a new truck recently and it was nearly on empty. Sales lady said they do that to help prevent people from stealing them.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
In my experience they all do this. They only keep enough fuel in them for the test drive.

I bought a used 2010 dodge nitro when I was stationed in GA and I had the dealer do I fresh oil change and fill it to the brim with gas before I ever signed the dotted line.

They happily complied on both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back