Top Tier Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I question the validity of this.
In my area we have a "fuel service company" that wholesales fuel.
I see their trucks supplying the local Sunoco, Shell, Citgo, Extreme, and BP stations.
I went to their website and I see no place or mention of supplying any custom fuels.
Just contact them for wholesale pricing.

A few months ago my local Shell station turned into Citgo because the owner got a better deal as she called it. She told me the transition was easy as she retained her old " fuel service company" So how does the Top Tier certification have any validity?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I question the validity of this.
In my area we have a "fuel service company" that wholesales fuel.
I see their trucks supplying the local Sunoco, Shell, Citgo, Extreme, and BP stations.
I went to their website and I see no place or mention of supplying any custom fuels.
Just contact them for wholesale pricing.

A few months ago my local Shell station turned into Citgo because the owner got a better deal as she called it. She told me the transition was easy as she retained her old " fuel service company" So how does the Top Tier certification have any validity?

So you think it's a conspiracy? Lies?

In any specific area, the "base" gasoline delivered to the "rack" (distribution center)will be the same...Many times supplied by different refineries. This gasoline meets government standards. Additives for top tier companies are added at the "racK' as they load up the tankers. Simple operation but custom top tier additives for individual companies (Shell, Chevron, 76 etc)do make it in.

Yes I understand that.
However this independent fuel service company sells wholesale fuel
and is not a blender thus that in itself tells you they sell one gasoline, and one diesel fuel.
No other options are offered and their trucks deliver the fuel to the stations.

I loose 1L/100km efficiency when I use cheap fuel.

I confirmed it to myself well enough that I don't bother trying to save a few cents a litre.

YMMV in your area, but Costco, Shell, Esso are all Top Tier, and they are everywhere...

Are you hunting down cheap fuel? Because where I live I have to go out of my way to gas up at a cheap station, Top Tier is everywhere here.

Maybe it is fresher fuel I get at Shell, newer tanks??

If it only boils down to the same fuel being delivered to all stations, I'd still pay the extra to get it from a popular station that moves a lot of fuel and has newer facilites.

Again, YMMV. For me, not worth it at all.

I cannot comment on whether or not in your area that particular wholesaler is a crook....I know from what I have seen personally as well as talking to various people/workers that as I mentioned before..In an area, companies share base gasoline which meets federal/state standards. When loading into the tankers, the specific additives for top tier companies is added at the time. Simple process that doesn't take up much effort or time.Easy to have additive tanks for the 2-6(?) top tier stations in any given area. Also as far as your local station changing brands, saving money yet delivered from the same rack...Citgo in your area is charging less for their gas then Shell was..maybe they are cheaper overall..maybe they are trying to increase market share in that area. Number of reasons for any price difference. In my area change overs are not cheap due to all the signs etc. Maybe in a smaller area not so much. If you can prove that Shell in your area is not adding V Power Nitro+ to their gas..you could get some money. My guess is they are.. Also if concerned call the wholesaler and ask. You should get a more detailed explanation then what is on the Internet.

I have never noticed a difference, it just seems to be a marketing ploy to get people to spend a bit more on certain brands.

I went to their website again now.
Now I know- they are branders of gasoline as well. From their website.

The services we provide include:
Automatic gasoline delivery and 24 hour tank monitoring
Complete station branding
Site and equipment leasing
Equipment maintenance and service
Site construction and remodeling
Business and IT support & consulting
Environmental testing

I will say I see Valero listed as a TT station.
Honestly I have many vehicles and as a rule all of my cars run like c-r-a-p on Valero. I refuse to buy it even though it's the cheapest station in the area.

Pinging, hard starting and poor mileage..... across the board.

Citgo is owned by the govt. of Venezuela(communist) If you recall the dictator Chavez was making deals with Joe Kennedy to sell heating oil in New England at below market prices to stir up trouble and get attention. 7-Eleven used to sell Citgo gas but ended their relationship because of the dictator's antics. I still won't buy Citgo to this day!

Basically, the Top Tier certification is for the additive levels, for the gasoline you buy, not what they're purchasing as gasoline prior to delivery. Different brands do have different treat rates, and that's even been tested independently. Here, Top Tier fuel goes for the same as non-Top Tier fuel, so there's no point in avoiding it. Besides, how many stations market the heck out of their Top Tier certification?

I've only ever seen the Co-op do it here. They were handing out little leaflets when they switched over. Petro-Canada mentions it in a very inconspicuous place on their website. Shell mentions it in passing, too, more concerned with their V-Power verbiage. Esso doesn't seem to mention it at all.

I think its a way to falsely advertise your product is better for $30,000

Got to agree with you on that. "Top Tier" means nothing except "we paid to use this label, so we'll charge you a little more to make up for it. Many excellent fuels carry the label, but it doesn't necessarily make them any better than others which don't carry the label.

Can't agree with you on Valero, though. I've never had one problem whatsoever with it in any vehicle from carbureted 1960s to my SRT. They're also one of the biggest producers of gasoline in the US, so you're going to buy their product under many other brands, as well.

Additives are added when the fuel is loaded at the tank farm. There was a person on this site that delivered fuel mentioned this.

If you buy fuel at a station that turns over a lot of gas so it is fresh and add a cleaner once in awhile that should work too.

My owners manual recommends Top Tier Regular Unleaded or adding an additive every 3,000 miles to the tank.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I think its a way to falsely advertise your product is better for $30,000

Got to agree with you on that. "Top Tier" means nothing except "we paid to use this label, so we'll charge you a little more to make up for it.

Here in the DFW area, Quiktrip is usually the least expensive and it is top tier. I know it is different but I was happy to get Diesel at QT for $2.02 yesterday!

Found this out the other day:

Should you buy Top Tier gas?
By Tara Baukus Mello • Bankrate.com
Dear Driving for Dollars,
The owner's manual of my new car recommends Top Tier gasoline, and the dealer I bought the car from told me that all the stations in my town are Top Tier. How do I know if he's right and does it really matter if I use Top Tier gas?
-- Terry
Dear Terry,
Many gasoline distributors meet the Top Tier standard, including Chevron, QuikTrip and 76. Don't be confused with the term "Top Tier." It doesn't refer to the octane level. Rather, it's a standard for the amount of detergent in the gasoline.
The Top Tier gasoline standard was created in 2004 by several automakers -- BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen -- after the Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, reduced the minimum detergent requirements. The automakers believe engine performance could be compromised if a lower-tier gasoline is used. They believe normal driving will put more wear and tear on the engine, effectively reducing its life span.
If your vehicle owner's manual recommends using Top Tier, this means that the manufacturer has done some research and has concluded that the higher level of detergent is better for your engine over the long term. It's not required, but you may want to consider following the manufacturer's recommendations. A list of Top Tier gas retailers can be found here, so it's possible that every gas station in your town is Top Tier.
If you have a car question, e-mail it to us at Driving for Dollars.

Another thread on the topic:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3873880/Shell_Fuel#Post3873880

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: loneryder
Citgo is owned by the govt. of Venezuela(communist) If you recall the dictator Chavez was making deals with Joe Kennedy to sell heating oil in New England at below market prices to stir up trouble and get attention. 7-Eleven used to sell Citgo gas but ended their relationship because of the dictator's antics. I still won't buy Citgo to this day!

I avoid Citgo for the same reason. The company itself is HQed in the US, but owned by the Venezuelan national oil company (which can be viewed as a government entity).
Maybe they will sell Citgo off to raise money for a basically bankrupt country and I'll have to think of another reason to not use them (usually seem to be old and shady looking stations around here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back