Purolator Synthetic, 6500 miles/22 mnths, Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

So what criteria is everyone using here? A pliable ADBV, no rips, and not overflowing with gunk means it's still good to go? That seems like an awfully low mark to hit. I just don't understand where the comments come from.

How about that the filter is rated to 12k miles...and has no expiration date.

But since you've decided to nit pick here, I will break it down for you and give you a precise answer. The OP went 6500 miles in 22 months. That is 295.5 miles per month. If the filter is rated to 12k miles (as stated there is plenty of evidence that this is a conservative rating) then the filter should be good for another 5500 miles. Given the ratio of miles per month, we get 18.6 months.

So to appease you, I stand corrected. The filter could easily go another 18 months and 18 days...

So, the answer to my question is "Based on simple math" which I understand. You're going on what Purolator says it'll go compared to what 440 ran it for. Fine. The filter has a 12k rating (I'll take your word for it) and he went about half that. Makes sense.

But... rated 12k on what? A showroom-fresh 2016 Toyota Prius that sees nothing but highway, or a 1975 Plymouth Fury with a clogged converter that has never had a tune-up? 440's 16 year old Jeep has a 4.0 engine design that dates back to the mid 1960's. Clean as it APPEARS to be, you would suggest running a synthetic filter on it that long just because Purolator put a 'one-size-fits-all' rating on the box? That's what I don't understand.

Sorry, I know I'm coming off snarky as **** but that isn't my intention. I just don't understand where many of you are coming from with the advice you're giving.

Sorry, I know I'm coming off snarky as **** but that isn't my intention. I just don't understand where many of you are coming from with the advice you're giving.

Please point out in my original comment (posted below) where I was giving advice to 440Magnum.

Looks like I just made a simple comment on the condition of his filter to me.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Bet it could have gone another 22 months...

Unless defective or abused beyond their capacity, the wire backed synthetic filters from Fram/Purolator/Amsoil/RP/Wix/etc. are all probably going to come out looking just fine.

But... rated 12k on what? A showroom-fresh 2016 Toyota Prius that sees nothing but highway, or a 1975 Plymouth Fury with a clogged converter that has never had a tune-up?

That's a good question, and I'd have to think that when the filter manufacturers rate a filter it has to be on the conservative side to cover themselves. Meaning the mileage rating is probably based on a somewhat "dirty engine" and not a brand new pristine clean engine.

What are synthetic filters made of, because it doesn't look or feel like glass fiber. Glass fibers break and go all over, like "fiberglass" insulation. Is it plastic fibers that look like glass, so they call it glass?

I never heard of that company. The filters I see don't look like glass. The media is soft and pliable. Glass isn't synthetic anyway. I wouldn't want an oil filter made of glass fibers I don't think. I would like to know what a Fram Ultra synthetic fiber is made of.

It did its job, but I dont see how a wire backed filter can have crooked pleats.

Wire backed should equal straight pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back