Screw extractor for torx bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a rounded T27 that wont budge. Any suggestions from the land of BITOG?

Something like this with the smallest bit seems like the best bet to me.
21.gif

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-10-pc...pid=00966196000

Grabit bits seem to have decent reviews too.

Dremel and hand impact driver.

Grind a slot in the screw head, attempt to turn it with hand driver and hammer.

Have never had ANY success with that style extractor. Found ones similar to these. I think it was a slightly different model, but a number of years back I had a set that worked so well I ended up snapping them off in half through use. Unlike the extractors you mentioned, which while I never tried a craftsman version have always just stripped themselves and nothing more.

I've had good luck with even the cheap hand impact drivers-a little technique to load and get any slop out and a sharp hammer blow -that misses your hand' can work pretty well. I've also had good results with my Milwaukee battery impact. A snug and quality bit, too.

Trav, welcome back.

Glad you're back on the board.

If some of not so nice posters were upsetting you such that you didn't want to post here, just ignore those posters and think about many of us truly appreciate your posts.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Trav, welcome back.

Glad you're back on the board.

x2.

Welcome back dude.

Not if its an inside Torx, drilling that might just drill the head off and leave you with a bigger problem.
Just get one slightly larger and hammer it in as deep as it go, it will cut its own grooves.

I once had to deal with a messed up Torx fastner, and my Lisle tool only made it worse. My boss cam in with a Snap-On Torx tool, and removed the rounded fastener with ease.

The next time the tool truck showed up, I bought a set of Snap On Torx tools for $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back