2016 Prius Gas Mileage Difference, Japan vs US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different test procedures may yield different gas mileage up to 10-20%, may be 30%. But 70% is so much, unless Japanese do the hypermile test at low speed and EPA do normal test at higher speed.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is a Japanese gallon different in volume?

The actual report is metric, 40 km/liter which is 94 MPG.

Haha, Thanks for the bedtime laugh
thumbsup2.gif

The Prius is good, but you're never going to achieve 94 US mpg in normal everyday driving.

Unless your commute is downhill both ways !!

I'm happy if I get 50 mpg with normal driving

I just read the linked article and it doesn't actually give the US ratings for the 2016 Prius.

It merely says they are promised to be over 55mpg.

The current Prius is rated at just over 70mpg in official EU tests. And going by reports of those people using them for Private Hire work in London most drivers are hitting 60mpg with a few hitting 65mpg.

Which is much closer to the official figures than most Diesels.

My Jag would regularly average 32mpg but I think the official figure was 37mpg off the top of my head for that usage.

The 116D had official figures not far off 70mpg and that never really managed to crack 50mpg.

Also, at leas for the Euro fuel economy tests, manufacturers are oftentimes permitted to remove exterior mirrors, tape up all the gaps between different panels and alter other aerodynamically important aspects that are different in the final production model.

In other words, a government controlled test can literally be anything they want it to be.

What is the difference between the two tests? Off hand it seems that Japan's testing is wildly optimistic compared to ours.

Maybe they are doing what the Italians are doing with their exotics and MPG's...lie.

Hey Tony what does your Pagani get for MPG? "ehh around 30"; eh we print window sticker for 30! That's a nice car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back