Original moon landing 1969

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
This IS the age of the internet....where you can easily look that up! Why didn't they land where they originally planned?

Because the other warehouse was full of UFO's.....................

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Many say the moon landing never happened in 1969

The world is full of morons and fools...you're better off ignoring them...

I bet they chose that site because getting there consumed the least fuel. They also did not want to be in the dark cold area, and at the same time did not want the area most directly under the sun. And it had to be on the side facing the Earth.

Since it's apparently too much to ask people to click a link and read for themselves, here is what NASA says based on what parameters they chose 30 potential landing sites:

Final site choices were based on the following factors:

Smoothness: Relatively few craters and boulders

Approach: No large hills, high cliffs, or deep craters that could cause incorrect altitude signals to the lunar module landing radar

Propellant Requirements: The least expenditure of spacecraft propellants

Recycle: Effective launch preparation recycling if the Apollo Saturn V countdown is delayed

Free Return: Within reach of the spacecraft launched on a free-return translunar trajectory

Slope: Less than 2° slope in the approach path and landing site

Ah yes the Summer of 69 , Woodstock and all that [censored]. I was a 17 year old high school kid with a Summer job working on a construction job at NASA's Johnson Space center in Clear Lake TX. A 17 year old could do that way back then .
Anyway, the Astronauts upon returning from the Moon were placed in quarantine in a special Airstream trailer which was parked behind a large building , rather unceremoniously I thought.

I was driving a dump truck from one end of the huge campus to the other ( without any CDL I might add ) and would deviate my route
to drive past the Airstream. I would wave and they would wave back through the little windows. How cool was that.

Neat story about the dump truck. I was 12 years old. I followed the space program through my formative years and enjoyed science in general. When they got to the moon, I thought it was a neat achievement, but didn't understand all the hoopla. They said they were going to the moon, and they went to the moon. In a child's mind, adults did that, they set a goal and they achieve the goal. It was just the way the world worked in my innocent mind. As the years passed I grew to realize what an amazing achievement the moon landings were, and still are.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Many say the moon landing never happened in 1969

The world is full of morons and fools...you're better off ignoring them...

+1
Go ask Buzz and let us know how that works out for you.

Last edited:
Guess they had some pretty good technology to fake the hammer and feather falling at the same exact rate to the ground.

The conspiracy tin foil hat wearers who claim the landing was fake just don't know much about space technology and how to decipher reality from photographs and videos taken during the moon landings, which there were many of.

I live in Florida, and I do make a point to watch launches. Interestingly, on clear days, one can view the rocket achieve orbit and then start the path around the earth. During the last few shuttle launches, I made sure to take my little airplane up and watch from above, 40 miles away (at least for a few seconds) . It was quite impressive.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
During the last few shuttle launches, I made sure to take my little airplane up and watch from above, 40 miles away (at least for a few seconds) . It was quite impressive.

I bet that was AWESOME!

I watched several Apollo launches from about 5.5 miles out while pretending to fish the Indian River. They would buzz us in a small plane but never ran us off. The official observation platform was 10 miles out.

The Saturn V made the Space Shuttle look like cheap fireworks...

Instead of landing on the moon, they landed on some asteroid and used those pictures!

I mean how do the tin-foil crowd think the moon landing was fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back