GM 2.0 EcoTech Serpentine Belt replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My specific application is on a 2006 Saab 9-3 but it is the same 2.0 Eco Tech used globally by GM and I figure most/all transverse FWD applications will have the same challenges..

What tool(s) works best to move the belt tensioner to allow belt replacement?

What needs to be removed to allow R&R of the tensioner itself?

Thanks,

I just had a [censored] of time replacing the belt on my 2006 Malibu 2.2. I believe this takes the same belt. I had to remove the right front wheel and most of the fender liner to gain access. The main problem was there are 3 different belt sizes sold for this engine. The original Dayco belt was 40.25 inches long and two replacement belts are available. A slightly shorter 39.96 inches and 40.55 inches long. The local parts store sold me the shorter belt and I found it impossible to install. I went back and found they had another brand of belt and it was slightly longer [40.55] so I bought that belt and it went on fine.

You will find part numbers that end in 400 is the short belt, being just under 40 inches and numbers ending in 405 are 40.55 inches long. Don't waste your time swearing and throwing wrenches around trying to put the short belt on.

For tools I made a wooden pry tool to lift up on the tensioner form under the car. A proper belt tensioner wrench would help.

I didn't change the tensioner but my old one seemed fine with 160,000 miles.

I do not know specifically about your application but I have the GearWrench 3680d and it has worked well on the few vehicles I have tried it on. You can find it for at least half the price listed.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Why use a special tool?

What can it do that a 3/8ths ratchet and maybe a socket can get done?

That method does work, but only if there is plenty of room under the hood. That is why people often have to buy that Gearwrench tool.

Also, OP: Spin each pulley driven on that belt, and check for any play, misalignment, or crunchy bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back