Help me ID fluid that is dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to take this in tomorrow; would like to know what the fluid is so I know it is safe to drive the distance.

I uploaded two pics:
Closeup
Far away

In the closeup pic, I have circled in yellow the problem area. It is a clear fluid, watery consistency, that is dripping from that downward pointing black hose. It is in my Honda Civic, as you can see in the far away pic, it is just below the battery. It was pouring out when I parked earlier this afternoon onto the cement; it looked like maybe 1-2 cups of fluid. On the cement, it did have a greenish tint. But I put a paper towel right below that hose, and it was clear, and looked like water. There was no smell.

OK I'm pretty sure it isn't oil. Just checked today, 1000 mi after last oil change, it was brown. I'm hoping that this isn't something so crucial that I can't drive my car 10 miles to the mechanic.

Put a pan underneath the area when I got home. After 20-30 mins, no fluid has dripped into it--don't know if it is all gone...

Anyways, I took a couple more pics and I noticed that something that I circled in pic 3 is connected by a tube, to something that is connected to that black hose. Pic 4 shows a wider view of this whole setup.
Pic 3
Pic 4

The "closeup" picture in the first post is your air conditioner condensate drain hose. Water may come out there when running the A/C or defrost modes. This is perfectly normal, it is the water that the A/C has removed from humid air.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Taste like coolant, Gasoline or oil?

Tastes like nothing---water if I had to take a pick.

Ruling out oil---it is clear, crystal clear (at least on my paper towel). It had no smell at all, so it wouldn't be gas. If coolant is the only other option, then it would have to be that....

Originally Posted By: mk378
The "closeup" picture in the first post is your air conditioner condensate drain hose. Water may come out there when running the A/C or defrost modes. This is perfectly normal, it is the water that the A/C has removed from humid air.

OK, I was running the AC earlier.

I have to say that I have never noticed anything like this before. Its not like I check below my car every single time I get in and drive, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen this before.

From humid air? I live in the desert. It was dry and hot today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulri

From humid air? I live in the desert. It was dry and hot today.

If it's plain clear water and coming from that spot, I would still say it is condensate.

If the evaporator gets too cold it can freeze water on it over the whole trip and then it is all released as it melts after you park. Ordinarily in a more humid climate this abnormal operation is more obviously a problem because the ice will eventually block the air flow and cause the A/C to stop cooling.

'
Originally Posted By: mk378

If it's plain clear water and coming from that spot, I would still say it is condensate.

If the evaporator gets too cold it can freeze water on it over the whole trip and then it is all released as it melts after you park. Ordinarily in a more humid climate this abnormal operation is more obviously a problem because the ice will eventually block the air flow and cause the A/C to stop cooling.

Fair enough. Would this water be discolored anything in the AC? I noticed a distinct greenish tint looking at it on the cement, although there was nothing but clear liquid when I had small amounts of it on a paper towel.

Will check coolant in the morning.

OK well thanks everyone. Saved me a trip across town to the mechanic.

Are you sure it's greenish color? It has been humid here in So Cal the last few days. My Jeep has been leaving puddles every time I stop. I pretty much run the AC all the time.

As far as green, I'm sure when it was on the cement when I looked under my car, I saw a greenish tint, although twice I took a paper towel to the hose, and the liquid was perfectly clear. Maybe I was just expecting to see a tint, maybe it was the light.... but the paper towel has no tint at all.

Condensation off of the evaporator. You haven't seen that before? I see a pool of water on my garage floor all summer from evaporator condensate. Look to see where that hose originates. Probably coming through the sheet metal on the firewall or underbody.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Greenish tint screams coolant..did you check your coolant level/overflow?

I was going to mention checking fluid levels and if you have been periodically adding anything. Green could be antifreeze or refrigerant oil.

Today I checked/filled up coolant, break, windshield wiper, and power steering fluid.

I know I thought that there was a green tint in the fluid in the cement, but what I saw on the paper towel was nothing like what I poured into the coolant reservoir. The Genuine Honda coolant was a very dark pink. I'm doubting that it was coolant.

Anyways, drove the car today and it didn't blow up. At any rate, I'll drive the car with AC on tomorrow and check again for any dripping.

Thanks to everyone who posted here. I did just send a small donation to BITOG, given that you here helped me not only work through one particular problem (without my having to go to a mechanic), but more aggravatingly, spurred me to a more comprehensive solution (fluid checks and refills on both cars) that will help me and the cars out for years to come. It took me a few hours to figure out exactly what I need for both cars, and to get the OEM stuff (decided to play it safe), and slowly put it in--but now I have a stash so it should be quicker next time. Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back